Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Gar  (Read 1660 times)

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
Gar
« on: August 22, 2007, 12:01:35 PM »
been looking at these beast all my life, finally tied up a Gar fly last night and headed off the lower Elk this morning after dropping off Precious at school.

Got this one in, had a couple on, that if they could have opened their mouth, this one would have had a bad day.

adamtn

• set....Set....SET!!!
Re: Gar
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 05:54:16 PM »
nice! how was the fight? I've seen them lots of time but never even been able to get a follow. How'd the release go? You couldn't get me to put my hand anywhere near that things mouth.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 06:22:24 PM »
David, really nice. They look prehistoric with that mouth. I have seen flies in the past that don't even have hooks, just a shank.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Mike Hill

• Fishless
  • Mike - the OTHER Mike!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 06:24:19 PM »
You really don't even need the hook.  Years ago I would tie a short section of doubled over plastic covered clothesline on my line.  You need the type of clothes line that had a million filaments inside a plastic covering.  Take the covering off the trailing part of the line and chunk it at them.  When they would strike, their teeth would get entangled in the filaments.  Sometimes you would just have to cut the "lure" off it would bet so entangled.  Now all you have to do is to tie some bigger flies, get your big rod out - go to one of the gulf coastal riverine estuaries and go after some of them real gar - those 100+ lb alligator gar.  Those babies will put some scare into you!!

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 07:22:48 PM »
I left the hook on in case a Smallie wanted some breakfast.

Mike Hill

• Fishless
  • Mike - the OTHER Mike!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 07:09:25 AM »
Must have been a Boy Scout - "Always Prepared"!!

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 11:28:53 AM »
Never was a scout, after my first wife pass away in 1989, my son was in the second grade and wanted to be a scout, I ended up being a cub master, what a farce, you ever dealt with mothers of scouts ;D

Was to much like being at work. :D

Just was lucky enough to be raised in a dead end hollow with a spring branch running through the front yard. Had thousands of acres that belonged to neighbors that we could come and go and treat like out own. Those were the days.