Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Need some feedback on a pattern  (Read 6523 times)

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Need some feedback on a pattern
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2008, 10:38:28 AM »
I saw the head on that fly above and thought, how the heck did he get sparkles in his thread? Thanks for the tips.

BTW, I think I will trim the fly down in length, put some eyes on. Next tie will incorporate the more durable and less tangle.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Racer X

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2008, 10:46:58 AM »
You should try stacking the fibers, Steve.  Then all you'll have to do is trim the top and bottom. 

Here's a quick tutorial I did for a friend a few years back.  Sorry for the bad pics. 

First you tie in the tail, I usually do two on top for this.  Spacing the stacks slightly.

The next step is to tie in the bottom.  And easy way to do this is to split the fibers into two halves.   You can do this by wrapping the thread and tying it in (just loop the fibers around the thread).  You won't need as much fibers on the bottom because it is essentially doubled.

Tying it in..

Splitting for each side...

Pull it back nice and firm to get it to pull tight on the sides.  You don't want it to flare out.  Tie it right against the base of the top stack.

Tie in a top stack now, leave around a 1/16th to 1/8th gap.  It depends on how big the hook and finished fly will be.

Here I'm holding up the top stacks to let you know how I'm working it forward.  See the space in between the stacks.

Finished fly..

I tie these in sizes from 1" to 11"  From size 10 hooks to 10/0.  In a myriad of colors.  Hope this helps you a little.  Tying them can be VERY boring if you're tying dozens.  But, they can be very effective at times.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2008, 10:59:52 AM »
RacerX. Thanks a lot. I was going to try that one as well as I was looking at the Peanut Bunker fly and it is tied with that technique.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2008, 11:03:12 AM »
Racer those sparse patterns like that can be killers. I've seen times on Caney when the trout wouldn't touch anything unless it had that translucent affect you get from a sparsely tied fly. Thanks for posting that.

This stuff makes some amazing good shad patterns when you tie it really sparse.

Unbelievable! This is Slinky Fiber blended with a micro flash.
Two of the most popular synthetics blended together to give incredible reality to your flies.
Length: approx. 9"
Eddie had a good supply of it when I was in there this winter.

I don't have a picture of one like I like em but this one is close just too thick.

Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Racer X

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2008, 11:19:04 AM »
I tie all my puglisi's with that technique.  I have several in my box that are over 5 years old and have caught many fish.  All I do is keep the hook sharpened.

Mike, I tie my small flies kind of sparse.  1) they have more movement. 2) they're less work to trim out.   If bulk is needed then all you have to do is add more fibers.  The fly in the photo is not as sparse as it looks.  It profiles into a nice 3" shad, with the bulk, when it is stripped in.  I have luck with puglisi's in still water but that's where I like using rabbit or deceiver type flies, or their variations.  Like a hollow fly tied deceiver style.  It has good movement.  It kicks from the back forward and you can tie them up to 8".

Steve, buy some curved scissors for trimming.  Just fan out the fibers on top and bottom and clip it into a nice profile.

Mike, I like that stuff on some flies but I like a more subdued look, sometimes.  That stuff has good bulk and it's easy to tie with, though.  If I need flash I just tie it in between stacks on the EP flies.

jarrod white

• Jdub
  • Global Moderator
  • "I live because I fish, I work because I have to."
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2008, 01:48:18 PM »
Racer, thanks for posting the tutorial. I am sure it will be great help to alot of us ;)         
BTW, guys pay attention to the tutorial, Racer is a great fly tyer ;D we can all learn alot from him.
I just don't care!

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2008, 02:26:11 PM »
Hey Racer, is that vice a Dyna-King that you have modified?
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Racer X

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2008, 02:56:57 PM »
No problem, Jarrod.  And thanks, you are very kind.

Steve, it's actually a Dyna King Pro model.  Very nice for streamers because the angle can be adjusted.  I also have a Renzetti Presentation that I use a lot.  I'm waiting on them to have the Clouser cam attachment available.  The Clouser arm allows room at the rear of the fly and will hold the hook in a good place.  Scott (maniac) uses a Nor-Vise.  It's like a Clouser attachment.  Certain vices can make things a lot easier, and faster, at times.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2008, 03:05:27 PM »
Nice, I love my Barracuda but would love to have one of the Pros. With the vice holding the hook that you, you don't hit the vice shaft when tying streamers.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2008, 04:43:28 PM »
Took everyone's advice and created this guy. Need seem gray deer hair (didn't know I was out) may try with a blend of dark brown and black. Next one will have a cleaner head.

Let me know what you think.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

jarrod white

• Jdub
  • Global Moderator
  • "I live because I fish, I work because I have to."
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2008, 06:54:41 PM »
That guy is pretty sweet, all he needs is a name and some water, and I believe somebody will eat him!!!!!! :o :o :o  ;D
I just don't care!

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2008, 07:00:12 PM »
Thanks for the compliments. I am actually very happy with the tie. Mike's hints and tips on his patter helped a lot then I added some of my own goodies and techniques to balance.

I think it will catch fish. Would like to use it as a starting point, for sure!

If I was going to name it right now....Copy Cat, for the tips and hints I took from everyone!
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2008, 06:13:55 AM »
Looks good Steve.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2008, 08:27:03 AM »
Looks good Steve.

Thank you. Now I just hope that puppy catches some fish.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

NotEnuf

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2008, 09:03:03 PM »
If this photo of a fly gets posted, I will talk about it in the next post

[attachment deleted by admin]