Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Underwraps, do they create dead spots?  (Read 2058 times)

TimM

• FishHead
Underwraps, do they create dead spots?
« on: September 18, 2006, 08:08:33 AM »

Mostly because I like some of the esthetic effects you can create by using an underwrap with guides I'm considering using this approach for the rods I plan to start on soon. However, I read somewhere or other recently that underwraps can create dead spots in the action of the rod. Is this more of a concern as the rod action becomes lighter and/or the underwraps become larger? Is there some sort of tipping point where either or both of these factors become a real concern?  The rods I'm planning will be built on very heavy action 1 piece graphite blanks 8 feet or more in length. They will be used primarily, if not exclusively (most likely) for pulling planer boards with 1-2 lb live baits. Is this a concern at all for a rod of this type?  It also seems that I read somewhere that this technique is used to add strength to guide wraps on rods built for heavy offshore duty. Does using an underwrap add strength to the wraps in general? Not sure I understand how that could be though certainly it does seem like they could add support to the rod in the area of the guide feet.

Thanks for any insight!

Tim

ps...Mike, I'm sure you've probably seen them already but just in case you didn't...I was perusing rod blanks on Ebay yesterday and saw a few Sage XP blanks...

MikeA

• Administrator
Re: Underwraps, do they create dead spots?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 10:01:22 AM »
Tim I don't think you'll see much performance loss with underwraps on those rods. I have a few very thin walled fly rods that underwraps were recommended to keep the guide feet from making direct contact with the blank. I didn't use them and have had no problems yet and most likely won't because I prepped the feet correctly. 

This is really getting into an area I am not familiar with so I don't feel comfy giving advice on it. This would be a great question to ask on WWW.RodBuilding.org.

Wish I could help more.

Mike

Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

dleo6446

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 11:08:39 PM »
They wont hurt the lighter guage rods as well.  Heddon did it for years, so did Philipson on some of their fiberglass.  There is an article on it somewhere if I can find it I will post it.

LD

TimM

• FishHead
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 08:38:57 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.

T