Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Fly Line  (Read 6239 times)

jarrod white

• Jdub
  • Global Moderator
  • "I live because I fish, I work because I have to."
Fly Line
« on: June 19, 2008, 08:50:36 PM »
Since we dont have a Product Review Board, I thought this would be the best place to discuss this.
I would like to hear everybodys prefered fly line , and why you prefer it. I have just about everything, and I kind of like them all, but I have not found one that I can say I LOVE. I just wanted to hear everybodys opinion. ;)

Jarrod
I just don't care!

MikeA

• Administrator
Re: Fly Line
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 06:30:07 AM »
These are the lines I've used this year.

SA Streamer express, is hands down the best integrated shooting head line but lacks a little in the toughness category due to the mono core. It'll always have a place in my bag though.

SA Wet Tip express, has a braided core but it isn't as cast friendly as the streamer express. It's still a great line that'll last several seasons.

Orvis depth charge, much like the wet tip express but a little tougher, you can't tear it up. Down side is no color code, its all orange and brown.

SA Ultra 4, IMO the best deal on a floating fly line out there. You can usually get it cheap, it has the AST coating, it floats well what else do you need.

Sage Equator, good stuff. I got mine when STP clearanced it out. I should have bought a lot more. It’s a great line in any weather with a nice fat floating taper.

Wonderline, despite to poor reviews I’ve had good luck with the stuff. I’ve had to send a few back but Orvis always made it right.

Rio Gold, had to send one back but the new one seems to be 100% better. Nice line and cast’s great. I’d buy it again.

Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 06:33:51 AM »
Wulff TT is my go to line for most conditions, Cortland DT on the small stream stuff,sinking lines as well & one Wonderline on the 4 weight Helios(it's picky)

Grumpy

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 07:15:28 AM »
Orvis Depth Charge for sinking. I have 250 and 350 and like Mike stated, you have to mark it as it is all the same color.

8 wt floating, Wulff Bass Bug taper. This stuff will punch wind resistant flies out there. Nice bulbous head section and floats very high.

5 wt floating, Airflo Ridge line. Casts very nice and never had a coiling issue.
5 wt floating, Cortland 555. Decent casting, some coiling issues even on ULA2 reel.

3 wt, First Gen Orvis Wonderline. Has always performed for me and super slick. Coils some but if you work on it when you get on the water for 5 minutes those issues won't effect you.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Steve Wright

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 07:32:40 AM »
"A New One" ..........(direct quote from Dane Law & also my answer) ;D

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 07:34:21 AM »
"A New One" ..........(direct quote from Dane Law & also my answer) ;D

Agreed. :D
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

jarrod white

• Jdub
  • Global Moderator
  • "I live because I fish, I work because I have to."
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 08:14:44 AM »
I feel a lot better knowing that I am no the only one with a lot of different fly lines :o I was going thru my lines last night, and I have 21 reels and 5 spools, all with line on them. I have somehow accumulated 7 extra lines, and some of them have lost the little label, therefore I have no idea what they are :( Oh well, it was a lot of fun getting them  ;D and if I see one I dont think I have tried, I will buy another 8)

Jarrod
I just don't care!

adamtn

• set....Set....SET!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 08:53:43 AM »
I've got the sharskin on my 4wt and reallly like it. It shoots really well and has a very supple core. The first time i cast it on the river i shot my cast into the willows on the other bank because it zipped out so far on the foward cast.

This line is also an excellent nymphing line. It mends effortlessly and doesn't stick to the surface tension of the water. Even the loop on the end of this line stays floating high which is much more than i can say for my rio gold which sinks for the first foot or so.

The $100 dollar price tag is a little tough to swallow, but the pro-deals lessen the sting a bit. I'm looking forward to trying out the new GPX taper that should be coming out soon

Curtis Martin

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 07:39:19 PM »
I haven't had the chance to try too many different lines but if I had to choose:

Floater= Cortland Precision Trout Rocket Taper

Sink tip= SA Streamer Express

What I really would like to have is a good Bass Taper for a 6wt and a 8wt. ;)

Curtis

lawnman

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 11:36:45 PM »
I have to agree with Adam.  I bought a lightly used sharkskin off some city slicker (Jarrod) for a fraction of the sticker price and have been pleasantly suprised.  It is a bit loud but man it shoots great and is soo slick it will slide right out of your guides.  As little as I have been fishing lately I won't have to replace it for a few years.  It's only about the cost of a tank of gas. 

kaisersoze

• FishHead
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 08:59:50 AM »
What's the consensus on that sharkskin messing up the guides on the rod?  I've heard some people say that, but you know, people can often be dramatic.  Sounds like BS to me and if I didn't just buy a new TT I would try the sharkskin
Who is John Galt?

adamtn

• set....Set....SET!!!
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 12:20:12 PM »
I can't tell a difference after 4 months of use on my 4wt. I don't think that a soft plastic fly line is going to do much damage to a TiCh guide on a good rod

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 08:19:56 AM »
The Tich guides on my rod are turning from black to a copper color from just using regular line. I don't know if the shark line will be any worse or not. It would seem as if it might but SA assures that it isn't a problem. Guides are easily replaced anyway.

Racer X

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 03:14:35 PM »
I've got way too many lines.  I'm with you Jarrod, I like most of them but I'm not in love with any of them.  I'd love to be a product tester to find the ones that really suit me.  My favorite sinking lines are Airflo.  They don't get dirty as easy as PVC lines.  Thus, less tangles.  I haven't used any Airflo floating stuff so I can't comment on them.  I'd like to try them, though.

Sinking lines- Mono core SA lines (streamer express)  Why?  Less tangles than braided cores.   And, Airflo Depth Finder.

Floaters include - SA, Wulff, Rio, Orvis, and Cortland.  I like most of them.  The Sharkskin is a mending machine.  Most supple line I've ever used.   

I have found that the most important thing in a fly line is keeping them clean, uncoiled, and stretched.  A clean line works good.  A dirty line will bring on fatigue in many ways.  Some lines are more maintenance than others in this department. 

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 03:37:21 PM »
Rusty, hopefully I will be able to get up that way soon as I will bring my Airflo Ridge line. Very nice WFF in a 5 wt.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum