Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Cumberland River Report from the 4th  (Read 1419 times)

Travis C.

Cumberland River Report from the 4th
« on: July 07, 2008, 09:33:16 AM »
My dad and I went to the Cumberland on the 4th for a little smallmouth action. We had a blast catching lots of fish and actually ended up catching more spotted bass than smallmouth. There were several spots in the 1-2 pound class that tried to steal our crank baits to no avail. The fish all were extremely healthy and fat as mud. I really love the Cumberland this time year, no ski boats or cruisers just good ole fishing. I started the day with solid black bandit crank bait with red eyes. At the end of the day, it was not solid anymore and missing one eye. That is what I am talking about.   ;D

If you find yourself complaining about the Jet Ski’s or ski boats on the lake give the river a shot. You will find just as many fish and more relaxation.

-Travis

MikeA

• Administrator
Re: Cumberland River Report from the 4th
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 09:39:34 AM »
That's some good advice Travis all I could add is that you might even get more then you bargain for as the Cumby also has a healthy Striper Population. Were you all fishing structure on the banks or submerged stuff?
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Travis C.

Re: Cumberland River Report from the 4th
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 10:30:21 AM »
We were fishing both bank structure and submerged ledges. The Corps had a good generation schedule for us all week and due to the 4th prep downtown they cut it off.  So, on top of very little flow as in just when boats locked through and the spillways cracked a bit we had a great day. One generator is good but two is better usually.

That is right Mike, you never know when you might run into some Striper. I sometimes find myself trying to keep it away from them if I see a big one after my crankbait. There have been several of my favorite cranks donated to the Striper society and a couple reels.

One of these days I am going to go down there looking for them with the right equipment.