Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: which brand of sink tip line  (Read 2668 times)

iflyfortrout

which brand of sink tip line
« on: July 18, 2008, 08:59:11 PM »
So I just bought a new 7 weight and want to put 200 or 250 grain sink tip on it.  I am trying to decide between Orvis depth charge, S.A Streamer Express or Rio Streamer tip.  I just want to hear your thoughts on each.  Which would be better?

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
Re: which brand of sink tip line
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 05:31:04 AM »
ifly, I dug up this post from a month or so ago and moved it to the product review room for quicker reference were it was discussed what fly lines people are using.

This is a good place to start : Fly Line Discussion

Also may want to search the board for the lines you are referencing as they have been discussed before as well. If I have a moment later today, I will see if I can help dig some stuff out.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Racer X

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 12:50:02 PM »
If you're a good caster get a tropi-core line.  SA has them.  They're for warm salt water.  These lines will stiffen up and not tangle as much when you have a lot of line stripped in the boat.  Believe me, this matters a bunch if you're into this type of fishing.  You'll spend more time casting than fixing knots. 

Airflo doesn't currently produce a tropi-core line but they make lines without PVC.  These lines stay cleaner and as a result, they cast better.  I have two and love them.  They go up in 100 grain increments and start at 200.

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 02:23:25 PM »
I would go upto the 250, not much difference in casting and it will help get the fly down better.  I have the SA line on right now and it cast good, but I am not so sure about the durability of it.  Even though I am not the biggest fan of Orvis, their sinking line is good/great, it is durable and cast well in cold and warm water.  If you are going to fish around structure you want durability to be your first priority.  If you are going to fish for hybrids on the lake then the SA line will cast longer and smoother.  Only my thoughts and opinions.

Icthus
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

jarrod white

• Jdub
  • Global Moderator
  • "I live because I fish, I work because I have to."
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 03:43:35 PM »
I like the SA Wet tip express, it is tougher than the streamer exress. I think they both cast extremely well. I like the Orvis Depth Charge also, I just wish they would color code it. I think as long as you get a line with atleast a 24 ft. head, you will be pretty satisfied with any that you mentioned.
Just my .02.

Jarrod
I just don't care!

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 06:56:16 AM »
I wouldn't go over 250 on a 7 weight & it better be pretty stiff or you'll work your butt off to cast it, then what do i know, i fish a 250 Cortland Quick Decent :-\

Grumpy

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 09:26:24 AM »
I really like the Orvis Depth Charge. I have it in 250 and 350 and it is extremely tough and abrasion resistant. Like others have said, they should mark the line but otherwise the stuff is incredible.

I need to try the SA lines as I have heard great reports.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Racer X

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 10:31:34 AM »
Steve, SA makes lines for Orvis.  The chemistry may be a little different but SA makes their lines.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 12:36:30 PM »
Rusty, thanks for the heads up. That is nice to know.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 06:18:49 AM »
SA streamer express for Trout fishing. SA wet tip or Orvis DC for Stripers or other big river fish. The wet tip has a stronger woven core where the streamer has a solid mono core.

Fast 7wt 200-350 Med rod 250, slow rod 200.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956