Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: BEADS and HOOKS. Bill P check this out!!  (Read 2858 times)

MikeA

• Administrator
BEADS and HOOKS. Bill P check this out!!
« on: October 16, 2006, 07:07:12 PM »
Bill here are the hooks. Been dealing with this guy for awhile and he is a credit to Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/300-DAI-RIKI-135-SCUD-FLY-TYING-HOOKS-8-thru-22_W0QQitemZ280037160233QQihZ018QQcategoryZ44914QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here's the beads. I bought 300 2mm and 100 3mm. The black beads are more gun metal then black but that's not a big deal to me, I keep a black sharpie with me onstream anyway. The copper ones are perfect. These are top quality beads. If you put a bead on it, you ought to be using Tungston. At $12 for 100 there's no excuse not to.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZlQ5fgavin2004

Here's that bead size chart you were looking for BP.

Bead Size   Inches   Millimeters  Hook Size
Sub-Micro   1/16   1.5   22 - 26   
Micro   5/64   2.0   18 - 22   
Mini   3/32   2.3   16 - 18   
X-Small   7/64   2.8   14 - 16   
Small   1/8   3.3   12 - 14   
Medium   5/32   3.8   8 - 10   
Large   3/16   4.6   4 - 6   
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

dleo6446

Re: BEADS and HOOKS. Bill P check this out!!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 07:18:56 PM »
Here's another guy here in the states that has some good deals on tying  needs...
I just got 500 beads and 100 scud hooks from him..ordered some 200R's today from him...100 pack for $16.95...he's a little higher than your guy there Mike...

http://stores.ebay.com/Fishwest-Online-Fly-Shop

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 09:22:08 PM »
Leo I've been buying from fishwest for a few years. A great company indeed! I like the free shipping.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

dleo6446

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 03:27:04 PM »
Hey Mike, thanks for posting the source you listed.  Super deal on both the hooks and the tungsten beads.  I took advantage of those offerings for the beads and some Dai Richi  hooks that are equivilant to the 200R.  Great prices like these will hurt the local business some I am sure....cest la vie.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 04:45:49 PM »
Yea I know Leo and that is not my intention at all. I live in the Boro as do many fly fishers and I won't drive to Nashville every time I need a tying material. The local sporting goods stores in Murfreesboro are BASS oriented and don't seem to give a hoot about fly fishermen or Striper fishermen for that matter, so I don't trade with them either. I do make it a point to stop by and shop the fly shops in Nashville whenever I'm in town. I've tried to find Cumberland Transit more then once but I really don’t know that area well and I usually give up and go to Bass Pro or Fly South. Then I forget to mapquest it so I can remember how to get there next time. All I know for sure is that it has to be a damn good shop to keep somebody like Grumpy around. ;D

Fly South is the only “fly shop” in Nashville that I’ve been to and Jim has a fantastic selection of material, equipment, and gadgets. I could spend hours (and I usually do) just looking around in there and shooting the breeze.

I would be happy to promote either Store on the site if they wanted to do something like that. However, I’ll most likely continue to buy the majority of my materials online and building my own rods just because I hate Nashville traffic.

dleo6446

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 04:58:39 PM »
Hey man, I know how that is.  It was neve anyones intention to hurt local business at all, certainly not mine, but when it gets to the bottom line, and I can get 500 beads for what 100 cost me locally...it is what it is!!

I know what you mean by the local traffic here, heck I live 15 minutes away from Cumberland Transit and on any given afternoon, the outbound traffic out of Nashville increases that to 45 minutes easily.  If I am going there, I will be out of the downtown area by not later than 1:30 just to avoid that crap.

CT is really pretty easy to find, if you know where broadway is, find Centiniel Park and there is a Mickey D's right next to the park and CT is right across the street from there.  You are right about Jim having a good selection and lots of goodies to peruse, I have been in there a few times but usually go to CT or to Bass pro..

adamtn

• set....Set....SET!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 09:54:56 PM »
I ordered some of these tonight. With the huge difference in price a man would have to be crazy to buy these for 40 cents each. Thanks for the link mike

dleo6446

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 10:26:10 PM »
Hey y'all....as much as we all use them, we ought to get totether and see if he (they_ will give us a better price for say  like 2000 of them!!  Do the same for hooks too!!!

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 07:39:28 AM »
I'm in, give it a try.

dleo6446

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 07:05:32 PM »
Price is inbound right now on quantities of 1000, 2000, 5000....Anyone else want to jump on a group buy?

dleo6446

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 08:51:40 PM »
Guys, I got the bulk prices today but won't post them....if you are interested in good prices on tungsten beads pm me or call me.  4 different colors gold, black, gunmetal, copper, 5 different sizes with 3/32" being the largest
LD

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 06:44:58 AM »
does he sell Daichii hooks :o

Grumpy

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 01:34:17 PM »
bump

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 01:35:31 PM »
I just ordered some beads. Those are a good deal, can't wait to see them.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum