Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: "Oh yeah, you can make it through there..."  (Read 2916 times)

gaspergou

• Global Moderator
"Oh yeah, you can make it through there..."
« on: January 19, 2010, 02:23:07 PM »
I thought I'd share a couple of stories, and see if y'all would want to chime in with jet horror stories of your own...

The number one rule of jets is know your river. Easier said than done, I know, but nothing makes for a bad day like going from 30mph to zero instantly. All it takes is one rock and the water being a little lower than you're used to. Couple of years back, a few local "quasi-Federal agency" boys learned how to fly on the Caney when they blasted through a run without scouting it first at low-water and hung up on a ledge; everyone on the boat got ejected and thrown into a rocky riffle head-first. Luckily no one was seriously injured.

Last summer I was having a couple of beers around a campfire with a couple of (Western) fisheries biologists, when one of them shared a story from a survey effort on a remote Wild & Scenic river. They were about 15 miles from the nearest road in an 21' Alaskan inboard jet, when they picked a channel and headed upstream through a shallow reach. The other biologist onboard had run the same reach a month earlier without incident, and it looked deep enough from their vantage point downstream. They rounded a bend at a high rate of speed and the water just disappeared; the main channel had shifted during high flows. They buried the boat deep in a gravel bar (It's really amazing how far onto a bar a jet will go when it has some momentum behind it!). After a full day of trying to dig it out, they hadn't made any progress, and had to abandon the boat and hike out. They were able to return a couple of days later with a rubber-tired dozer; luckily, the boat was still there and they were able to extract it without further incident.

Over the past couple of years I've been doing a lot of electrofishing surveys with a jet sled; one of my co-workers (who always seemed to be operating the boat) never caught on that while reckless speed without knowing the run is dangerous, being overly timid has its downside, as well. I can't count the number of times we pushed that dang boat (a 16' welded with a 60/40 4 cycle, loaded to the gills with a 5500W generator, electrofishing equipment, and a 75 gal livewell -- HEAVY!!) off of gravel bars. Sweat, strains, slips, and a bit of unsavory language always followed his driving. On one particular day, he buried the boat three times in a row, easing off the throttle at the same place each time, just when he should have been keeping on it. Keep in mind we'd already run this reach that day going downstream; it was clean gravel without any big rocks or ledges. Easy. I finally mutinied, took command of the boat, and ran the riffle without incident. A come-along is a very useful thing to keep in your rig when you're running bony water...     

Also be aware of the effects of adding weight in the middle of a run; another site was a long ways downstream of the access, so I scouted carefully on the way down, and even stopped and made a couple of cairns on the bank to mark serious obstacles. Three other members of our crew accessed the site with a canoe that they slid down a steep hill from a road about 300 yards away from the river. When we'd finished our survey for the day, we loaded up the samples that the other crew had collected, plus one of the guys and their gear so they could haul the canoe back to their vehicle easier. I didn't think the extra weight would make that much of a difference, but it did -- we couldn't get back up through, and after a couple of tries I had to make two of the guys carry equipment past the sketchy areas while I ran them.

Hopefully this will keep someone from duplicating some of these mistakes...

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
Re: "Oh yeah, you can make it through there..."
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 03:45:30 PM »
Great stories.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

fairweatherfish

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 09:51:04 PM »
Caney Fork winter of 2003.  I'd had my new monster jet boat for about eight months.  That was the year (before the repairs) when they had run all of the cold water out of Lake Cumberland, so our winter fishing trip above Burkesville was a complete warm water disaster.  Off to the Caney.  Running up the river, thinking I had a clue, and I ran up on a gravel bar so far that the closest floatable water was at least 10 feet away.  It's a 21 foot welded boat with nearly a 1/2 inch bottom and a big heavy engine and 30 or so gallons of gas.  Luckily the only other guys we saw that day, in a small jon boat, stopped to help - otherwise it would have been the following afternoon before the next days release would have gotten to us.  Fifteen or twenty minutes of moving it a few inches at a time and we were floating again.  Stomped the gravel out of the grate with the stomp grate and on up river.  Caught zillions of small trout later that morning and afternoon.  Now I carry a come-along, several lengths of synthetic rope, and a heavy anchor and chain that can be burried as a dead man to attach to if too far from shore.

RF1

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 10:21:32 AM »
Gaspergo said it all.  If you do not know the river stay off of it before you TRY to zip up it in a Jet  as it can be extremely dangerous to the bottom part of the boat and to the air in your lungs and bones in your head.

I have found that Jets are great for shallow water if your follow outboardjets.com advise.

For any type of water over 3 feet deep with any type of waves stick with prop as jets are VERY noisy, slow and like to grab air instead of water with a wave and will drive you crazy.  Don't get me wrong I love my Xpress 1640 Tunnel jet with 40 HP tiller 2 Stoke but only for rivers and creeks.

These types of boats also run small creeks as well as you can motor over logs very slowly.  Idling works quite well with these boats going up small creeks.

Tight Lines,

RF1

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 07:22:28 AM »
Welcome to the board RF1!
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

RF1

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 09:57:14 AM »
Thank you kind sir. Nice to talk to folks who know what they are doing around jets and also help those who dont.  I hate to see folks spend a ton of money to get something they may not like latter on.  There are too many jets boats with too much bling (fake floors, extra seats etc) on them.  The simpler the better and make sure you stick with a 2 stoke.  IN MY OPINION, I would go with the max HP a boat would handle and use the jet HP as the guide not what the stickers say on the top of the motor.

Think of it as having plenty of HP to "getty up and go" so to say.  Also when you invite your Nieces husband who is as big as you are and then you lab looks at you as you are pulling out of the driveway and you have to take her as well.  A 16 foot JB can get pretty weighted down in a hurry and with a smaller jet you might not even got up on plane.

No messing around when you have something coming up fast from down stream and you want to get out of there.

Spend the extra money on the biggest motor you can your life may depend on it.

I love my MERC TWO STROKE 40

Thank Spring

Later.

RF1