Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: White River - Arkansas Suggestions?  (Read 5506 times)

BP

White River - Arkansas Suggestions?
« on: January 27, 2010, 05:30:53 PM »
Planning on a trip to the White in mid February and wanted to know if anyone had some tips before I made the trip? Streamer ideas? Indicator with nymphs? High water ideas? Thanks to all in advance.
BP

John M

Re: White River - Arkansas Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 08:33:20 PM »
Hope there is a shad kill and it is not a zoo below the dam.  Check out John Wilsons site flyfishingarkansas.com those guys can let you know what is going on over their.

West TN Fly

• Trout Head
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 08:56:32 PM »
BP, I live in Memphis and fish Arkansas tail waters quite a bit.  If I were you I would contact Phil Landry he is a member of the forum and a pro guide in Arkansas his web site is http://www.arkansastroutbum.com/ - Phil is an awesome resource on Arkansas tail waters, one hell of an awesome fishing guide - great guy and a lot of help - take care and if you are looking for someone to fish with in Feb email me anytime I would love to go

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 10:07:01 PM »
They have been doing well in the high water throwing big streamers on sinking lines. Check out john Wilson's site for more info.
If you need a guide Phil Landry would be a good choice.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 10:19:57 PM »
Probably not a chance of it happening, but when they used to shut the dams off...Grumpy might remember those days ;D...

A bunch of crazy trout nuts would go to the trophy section below Bull shoals dam (which opens Feb 1st) and strip streamers and poppers at night.

The posts I've read involve several 10-20 lb fish breaking the hearts of stumbling anglers trying to chase them in the dark on a 6wt.

Your best bet would be a shad kill on high water.

Visit Mtn River Fly shop in Cotter or Dan Fulton's in Mtn Home...A few yrs back these shops had some great info and gear selection when I headed up there.

Listen to Mike on looking up John Wilson's site.  Also look up Clint Wilkinson's site too.
Have a great time and be safe!
Travis

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 10:48:24 PM »
HUH, i can remember 3 hour river chases between the Red, Norfork or White, the past couple years have been hard on Arky rivers, ours to for that matter.

Grumpy

BP

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 10:12:30 AM »
Thanks for all the help, I will certainly contact those folks that everyone suggested. Someone on this forum posted a really big shad pattern one time...I thought....maybe Mike A. or perhaps Travis C. Not really sure but I remember it looked pretty good! Thanks

Phil Landry

• arkansas trout bum
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 10:28:20 AM »
Chances are you'll need a boat.  The lake level is close to pool, but there is a lot of inflow right now (running 10,000 cfs and basically holding the lake steady).  The weather coming in tomorrow won't help that either.  Norfork is in the same position, as is the Little Red.  

Mountain River FlyShop is a great place to get advice or gear, in Cotter (like Travis said).  Blue Ribbon Flies is still open as well, but Dale Fulton doesn't work there or own it anymore.  Unlike Travis said, I would NOT listen to Mike on Wilson's board... he is just a shopfly that wade fishes public access areas and brown-noses for info.

There has not been a noticable shadkill yet this year.  Keep your fingers crossed for that, but don't bet on seeing one.  If there is one get a boat close to the dam and watch out for the other boats... it can be dicey.  

You can rent boats all over the White.  There is a dock at the Cotter ramp that has some if you can't find a section of river you want with rental boats in it.  If you do rent a boat, you really need some degree of experience on BIG water with a long narrow boat.  DO NOT DROP ANCHORS or use a drag chain.  You will need one person skulling the motor into the current while others fish.  

Crashing the bank with big articulated streamers and heavy sink tips (200-300 grain- 24 ft sinktips) will give you your best shot at the big boys.  You can also work SJ worms and other larger, brighter nymphs over submerged grass beads/down banks and pull on some bows.  To do this you will need long leaders, lots of weight and large indicators.

If you need more help let me know... good luck and be safe.

Phil

www.arkansastroutbum.com

Kylemc

• FishHead
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 12:57:56 PM »
Mountain River Fly shop..Ask for the crazy austrailian. Tell him Kyle says Hi.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 04:23:41 PM »
Mountain River Fly shop..Ask for the crazy austrailian. Tell him Kyle says Hi.

Davy?
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Phil Landry

• arkansas trout bum
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 04:41:47 PM »
no- Steve Dally

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 05:20:01 PM »
Gotcha!
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Phil Landry

• arkansas trout bum
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 06:11:19 PM »
BP - on the Little Red this past weekend....

Fun times were had by all... maybe BP will share some of his photos too?

Phil

www.arkansastroutbum.com

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 06:31:08 AM »
Nice fish!! I almost forgot what a trout looks like.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum