Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Scotts Gulf hike  (Read 24838 times)

MikeA

• Administrator
Scotts Gulf hike
« on: December 05, 2010, 10:21:55 AM »
I'm going to head up there in the next few weeks. Anyone interested?
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Scotts Gulf hike
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 02:15:49 PM »
You doing a day hike or an overnighter? Looks like a cool area.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 06:22:00 PM »
I am interested! I have hiked most of the trails there, but not during the winter.
Need to check my schedule. I am going to have some time off after this week until the first of the year.
Let's keep in touch and see if we can make this happen.

Looper Flies

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 07:37:06 PM »
I've got an interest if there's an extra seat in the truck.  Heck, I'll ride in the bed if I've gotta. ;D

Sam
Fish on!

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 09:22:08 PM »
Brady if you get a weekend lets go. It'll be a day trip Steve. Too cold on the plateau for me right now. More the merrier Sam
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

jarrod white

• Jdub
  • Global Moderator
  • "I live because I fish, I work because I have to."
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 09:35:34 PM »
when you say hike, do you mean actually walking somewhere or does that mean hike to the back of the truck to get the 4 wheeler out :) heck I might go !
I just don't care!

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 11:01:01 PM »
There is a 4x4 trail we can take down to the river,but no 4 wheelers are allowed. Know anyone with a good truck?
There are trails along side the river and we could visit the Big Spring area.
Would this Saturday work? Supposed to be cold, but we would have the place to ourselves and I have a topo map that shows the entire are. I will try to post a couple of pictures in the morning.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 11:49:06 PM »
Hmm possibly.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 09:32:24 AM »
Holy hell man this place is amazing. Clearly you could spend years exploring and photographing all of it. I'm all for getting started ASAP!
Sounds like there are some decent trout populations in Bee Creek and Caney. Might need to pack a rod.

Take the tour!
http://www.uppercumberlandcaving.net/Gulf/index.htm#top

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 10:28:34 AM »
There used to be a good population of trout, but TWRA stopped stocking them years ago because the drive down was too rough. However, there is a population of other game fish......
Here is a shot of the river road to Big Springs:

Big Spring:

A river shot:

Bee Creek:

This section gets hit hard during the summer months with campers and fishermen.
Keep me posted on the trip and I can help you find all the access points and fords so you can hit the productive water.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 11:11:57 AM »
Keep you posted,, your the guide.  ;D

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 01:22:23 PM »
I might be up for that if it's a day trip.  You'd have to hold a gun to my head to get me to camp outside right now.  :)

bd

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 01:24:58 PM »
Hey, I just saw that Scott's Gulf is TWRA land - is squirrel hunting allowed up there?  I'm definitely up for the hike if I can carry my shotgun.  :)

bd

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 02:25:38 PM »
Not sure about hunting.... don't recall seeing any signs. I will ask around.

Bfish

• FishHead
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 05:04:59 PM »
I believe most of the hiking area is in the old Bowater Pocket Wilderness so no hunting.  However most of the land in the general area is part of the Bridgestone WMA where hunting is allowed. 

Years ago I kayaked from Clifty down, some of crew kayaked Bee creek the following day.  It is a beautiful river.

Also the Virgin Falls hike, cross a creek that at that time (10 or so years ago) had no bridge and no good way to cross.  Also lots of elevation change, and steep, makes my knees hurt thinking about it. 

I have heard reports of good spotted bass fishing.