Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Scotts Gulf hike  (Read 24703 times)

bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Scotts Gulf hike
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2011, 01:08:31 PM »
I've picked up a nasty chest cold, so I'm in "wait and see mode" now.  I'm pretty sick.  Unless I feel better, I'm probably not going to make it next weekend. 

bd

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2011, 02:53:58 PM »
Let's just wait til the weather is more spring like........

TheYiman

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2011, 07:27:45 PM »
Hey, I am new to this site and pretty new to mid-TN as well.  Did y'all ever do this hike?  If not, are you still planning on heading out there?  I would love to join y'all and meet some of the folks from this site.
Thanks,
JR

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2011, 11:04:18 AM »
Haven't been yet but would still like to go. Next flood that puts the rivers out of commission I think would be a good time to do a hike.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2011, 12:32:32 PM »
Saturday March 19th.... meet at Virgin Falls trailhead @ 9?

toddro

• FishHead
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2011, 09:01:46 AM »
Saturday March 19th.... meet at Virgin Falls trailhead @ 9?

How long does it take to do that loop?
"A passion for steelhead is a hard ride. It is all consuming. God help the woman, man, or child who hopes to compete for some small claim to the passion in the angler so stricken." Bill McMillan, Foreword- A Passion for Steelhead

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2011, 09:54:49 AM »
I believe the trail is 10 miles or so..... with about a 1300 ft elevation change. Don't remember exactly how long, maybe 5 hours total if you really pushed it. Basically, it is an all day trail/trip.
Another option would be to hike down to the Big Spring area there which would take about the same amount of time. Here is a great link with more specific information:
http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/VirginFalls_0000.asp

toddro

• FishHead
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2011, 10:31:42 AM »
I have been promising my 13yr old son a trip out to Virgin Falls, so this may be the weekend.  If we were to meet up with others from the board, that would be great, but we don't want to hold anyone back or slow anyone down either...

Does the trail border the Caney Fork at all, or is it above that?  In other words, is the 5-piece backpacking rod worth packing?
"A passion for steelhead is a hard ride. It is all consuming. God help the woman, man, or child who hopes to compete for some small claim to the passion in the angler so stricken." Bill McMillan, Foreword- A Passion for Steelhead

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2011, 11:24:46 AM »
If we are able to meet up, we could hike down to the Big Springs area instead of Virgin Falls(avoid the crowds) and find plenty of water to fish as long as there is no more rain in the area......

toddro

• FishHead
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2011, 04:46:55 PM »
I'm not familiar with the area at all, is the Big Springs area near Virgin Falls or further East?

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »
Big Spring is a couple of miles upstream of the Virgin Falls..... The meet up would still be the Virgin Falls trailhead.

toddro

• FishHead
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2011, 05:32:09 PM »
I'd be up for either one.  Like I said, it will be myself and my 13yr old son.  He is quite an athlete and should not have any problem on either hike, but we don't want to slow anyone down (though it might be me we need to be worried about - hah!).  Which hike do you like better?  Something about getting next to the river is appealing, but I have heard great things about the Virgin Falls loop too.  Is it a tough choice?

Thx so much,

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2011, 05:48:31 PM »
I'll send a PM your way.......

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2011, 08:22:27 AM »
Brady shoot me your phone # I might be able to make it after all...
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

toddro

• FishHead
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2011, 09:44:23 AM »
pm'd you my phone# Brady.