Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Freakin' rain  (Read 2567 times)

mrl0004

• FishHead
Freakin' rain
« on: January 23, 2012, 12:08:18 PM »
One hell of a trip regardless. Fish or no fish, I had a great time hanging out with everyone. I never got the skunk off the entire trip. So no fish pics for me.
Friday afternoon..

I wonder why they call them the smoky mountains?

The only thing I caught..

Friday night activities..

A few decided to pass time tying flies...

Saturday was rainy crappy weather that finished off what fishable water wasn't ruined by Friday's rain.....but we still tried

Saturday night was more of the same: drinking, hanging out, and eating good. Grilled amberjack fillets, cocktail sausages, pork loin, boston butt, chili, etc. Woke up Sunday and everybody parted ways. We decided to go up to higher water with hopes that brook trout would cooperate and hopefully the water would be lower and slower....

The water was clear, but the rocks were slicker than owl s%#@ and the water was too fast..

I saw a good pool that I just knew would hold a fish....

...but it didn't. I didn't even see one spook off. So I tried to take an artsy fartsy picture..

The view of the stream from the trail...

We snapped a quick group photo and headed back with the smell of skunk. Had a great time just being outside and hanging out smoking cigars and drinking with the guys. Come spring, I need redemption.........
"Often, I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, briar scarred, sunburned, mosquito-bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand, have I been in a place that was less than beautiful."

MikeA

• Administrator
Re: Freakin' rain
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 01:05:21 PM »
Enjoyed the report and great scenery even without the fish. Thanks!
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 01:34:26 PM »
Great trip report and pics and you will get a fish next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

toddro

• FishHead
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 03:16:28 PM »
Great trip report - proves it's not always about the fish.  Good friends, good food, good drinks, and good times just enjoying the outdoors.
"A passion for steelhead is a hard ride. It is all consuming. God help the woman, man, or child who hopes to compete for some small claim to the passion in the angler so stricken." Bill McMillan, Foreword- A Passion for Steelhead

Yoda

• Yoda
  • FishHead
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 05:39:21 PM »
Great trip report - proves it's not always about the fish.  Good friends, good food, good drinks, and good times just enjoying the outdoors.

Well said!!
"Fish, or fish not...There is no Golf..."~Yda~

paddyrunelite

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 09:47:24 PM »

Well said indeed. Man, I HAVE to get over there sometime. I'd be tempted to leave the flyrod in the truck and just take the camera gear around. Amazing scenery. Thanks for sharing.