Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Winter Float-n-Fly?  (Read 3856 times)

Travis C.

Winter Float-n-Fly?
« on: June 17, 2012, 02:52:45 PM »
I have been thinking about it for a while and intend on driving up to try it this winter. Have any of you guys ever tried the lake side during winter with a float-n-fly setup on a fly rod? I know me and bd have talked about it before but anyone on here ever tried it.

A thingamabobber up by the flyline, 9ft leader w/3-6ft tippet and a shad or clouser fly would seem to work. They don't really fish any deeper than 15ft on convention F-n-F rigs.

Trout would be the initial target but a smallie wouldn't be a bad consolation prize.

bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Re: Winter Float-n-Fly?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 08:12:37 PM »
If you do try it, let me know.  My main problem is that I don't know enough about f&f on spinning tackle to translate it to the flyrod. If you don't mind me tagging along, I would be all over that.

I don't even know that a smallie would be a consolation prize. If I could figure out how to catch 4 lb smallies on a light flyrod in the winter, I might forget about trout until the weather warmed up.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk 2

Travis C.

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 07:05:25 AM »
If you do try it, let me know.  My main problem is that I don't know enough about f&f on spinning tackle to translate it to the flyrod. If you don't mind me tagging along, I would be all over that.

I don't even know that a smallie would be a consolation prize. If I could figure out how to catch 4 lb smallies on a light flyrod in the winter, I might forget about trout until the weather warmed up.

Lets try it once that particular bite turns on. We'll cut the lake down in size and just fish Horse Creek. I know one spot they stock from is the marina and trout in the main body will move back up in the creeks once water cools so there should be some in there. Smallie are everywhere in the lake so they shouldn't be a problem to find.

By the way bd, the stripe are in that night time spot I told you about on Old Hickory.  ;)

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 12:21:06 PM »
Hopefully we will get a winter this year so we can try it.

Give me a shout when the weather gets right, and we will make a trip up there.