Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: July 2012 OBA Offshore trip  (Read 5445 times)

TimM

• FishHead
Re: July 2012 OBA Offshore trip
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 09:59:23 AM »
That S100 is working well for you Tim.

Thanks.

You know it's funny Mike. I think I might have had a bum unit from the beginning because when the repaired unit came back from Cannon it did things that I never saw it do before that point. I think that in addition to making the hardware repair that they admitted to that they must have updated the firmware or something too. 

It still really struggles with the white balance in artificial light and I haven't figured out a reliable way to handle that yet. Perhaps with time.

TimM

• FishHead
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 10:19:29 AM »
Awesome trip Tim. That looks like a lot of fun and good food for days to come.

Just out of curiosity, what size was the "light" rods you guys brought down for the salt?

Thanks Travis.

Obviously it varied from one guy to another and I certainly didn't do an inventory/survey on what everyone brought.  However, a variety of rods made specifically for the butterfly jigging technique were present with a variety of conventional and spinning reels.

I personally took three rods with me.

1) A St. Croix SCII 7'6" musky rod ( model = PM76MHF , rated for 17-40 lb. line) with an Avet MXJ 5.6.1 reel spooled with 80 lb. Power Pro. This rod is one I originally bought for striper fishing that has gradually been "semi-retired" as I've built more rods for myself.

2) A Shimano Terez TZS-70XH-EG ( 7' , rated for 50-100 lb. braided line) - it's an amazing rod actually - with a Shimano Bait runner 4500B reel spooled with 50 Lb. braid

3) A 7' spinning rod I built on a St Croix blank (I don't really remember which one it was but I'd guess a MH power SCII blank with fast action) several years ago for fishing for tail water schoolie stripers with a Shimano Bait runner 3500 B reel spooled with 30 lb. braid

You can sort of see the Terez and other spinning rod I'm referring to in this image...they are on the far end of the table in this picture with some of the other guys stuff in the foreground including some that don't really qualify for the "lighter" description.

The musky rod and Avet are in this out of focus picture along with the other two I mentioned and some others...

MN Fishing Bum

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 09:22:34 PM »
Dang that is awesome!  Would love to do that someday

TheYiman

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 04:09:10 PM »
Wow!  Looks like a blast.  Lots of nice fish.  And tasty fish too!