Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: On the Mason-Dixon Line  (Read 1657 times)

gaspergou

• Global Moderator
On the Mason-Dixon Line
« on: May 28, 2013, 08:33:35 AM »
I had a lovely long weekend in the central Appalachians visiting family and  some old haunts. I didn't get a lot of time to fish, but managed to squeeze in a couple hours here and there. It seems like most of my visits lately have been in the winter, so it's nice to be on the water when bugs are coming off and things are looking up.

A favorite small creek produced non-stop brookie love. Almost every cast would get a rise, and if you missed a fish they'd come right back and smack it again. I only changed flies when the last bits of hair fell off and it wouldn't float any more.

I hit some more technical water one afternoon. Easily a dozen different bugs coming off, and it took a while to figure out what they were keying in on...

I also got an hour or two of warmwater action in on the mainstem Potomac. Amazing what a mix of different critters you can tag.

The river chubs were tuberculate and defending their rock mound nests. What a crazy looking fish...

Ahh, fallfish. Related to creek chubs, but get much bigger -- to close to 18". They are viewed by some as an annoyance but they fight hard, and are sharp looking in their metallic silver and black garb.  They don't get the crazy tubercles that chubs do, just a few rows at the tip of the snout.

Good times.

Travis C.

Re: On the Mason-Dixon Line
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 08:43:54 AM »
Nice array of fish.

What size streamer are you fishing where the bluegill can still eat it along with the others?

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 09:46:08 AM »
Very nice work Dave! A great variety indeed.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 10:28:16 AM »
Nice assortment. I should have tried for the Drum, Carp, and Gar I was seeing but the Smallies wouldn't leave the fly alone long enough.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 12:17:27 PM »
That fallfish catch is nice!