Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Slugo fly  (Read 6410 times)

Yoda

• Yoda
  • FishHead
Re: Re: Slugo fly
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 01:27:38 PM »
What's it made of?

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

I got you covered, have the material just need TIME to get to them

:-) :-) :-)

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

"Fish, or fish not...There is no Golf..."~Yda~

MikeA

• Administrator
Re: Slugo fly
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 03:22:45 PM »
the original pattern used
Marabou tied on top of hook.
Wrap very thick Chenille to tips of marabou then back over itself then wrap to eye of hook.

In place of Marabou I used the longest bucktail I had. Don't pick out the short hairs. In fact you might  want to add some short hair to the long ones (short bucktails) to create the tapering of the material to towards the rear. This makes the fly much better IMO. I found the thick (about the dia of a pencil) chenille in a fabric store. Considering the erratic action and the fact that you could make it 13" long if you wanted to,, I'd say it has Musky potential. I also have some even better material in black. I'll tie one of them up next. I'm also working on a "plastic worm" fly.

Try one you'll like it.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Fred Mertz

• FishHead
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 08:46:40 PM »
Still waitin' on my dozen....
 ;D

Aquaholic

• FishHead
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 09:49:19 PM »
Here's your sluggo..... Fish it on an sink or floater.    Cudas like the Chart one too.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 10:35:15 PM »
Are those durable? They certainly look very nice.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Aquaholic

• FishHead
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2013, 05:33:31 AM »
Yes, they hold up well on bass and swim nicely.  They get heavy, and I like an 7 or more To throw them. I haven't seen those tails on retail store  racks in several years though.  I'd like to figure out where to buy them again.

They don't last long when a cuda gets his teeth in one.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
Slugo fly
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2013, 07:28:12 AM »
Here's your sluggo..... Fish it on an sink or floater.    Cudas like the Chart one too.

Looks like those would work in the salt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum