Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Drag Chain  (Read 10736 times)

DSchlact

Re: Drag Chain
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 01:24:11 PM »
I've kicked around the idea of using a drag chain on my gheenoe...but the pink dumbell idea might be better.  Mainly because I have a pink dumbell...err, my wife has one that she doesn't use  :-X

countryflyfisher

• fishing water noone talks about
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 05:43:15 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys. For what I m using this boat for I don't plan on using an anchor though that may change. I think I may have worked out a system that will work and that stows easily for faster water and strainers.
The more I fish the more I realize it isn t about the fishing.  The older I get the more I realize it is about the moments God has hand crafted just for me. 

countryflyfisher

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 06:41:41 AM »
You using a trolly system or dog leash for your anchor system?
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

countryflyfisher

• fishing water noone talks about
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 06:23:03 PM »
I ll throw out what I have built in my head. I am going to be using a dog leash ran though a piece of PVC that has a stop built into it. I m going to try to work it out where the Chain stays stowed in the PVC which is contained in the bottom of my fishing basket. which is attached on the back Bungee system of my Yak. I know it probally won't work out exactly like I have it in my head, but I m going to give it a shot.
The more I fish the more I realize it isn t about the fishing.  The older I get the more I realize it is about the moments God has hand crafted just for me. 

countryflyfisher

Bfish

• FishHead
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 06:59:49 PM »
Steve, I don't like the trolley for rivers, for lakes they work great cause there is no current to push on the sides of the boat.

For rivers, I like a simply cleat and straight off the bow.  Stern anchor does not allow one to see where the anchor is set nor when something drifts into the anchor line.  If the need to cut the line happens (and it will) a bow mounted line is much easier to cut.

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 08:21:06 PM »
Country great plans, make sure you add some oil and salt on that plan.

5:30 is a bit ridiculous,
Pal
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 08:31:14 PM »
Agreed B. I prefer just a dog leash plan and generally only deploy to stop and wade.

5:30 is early and I love eggs and cheese.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2013, 08:41:50 PM »
That was a good thought by MikeA.  You should see his yaks that have more reconstruction surgery then...pic a hollywood celeb.  Not Katie Holmes though--she is a tree hugger and well 9 out of 10.  Plus she is rich so that gives her a .25, but she slept with Tom while we were talking so that is why I gave her a 9. 

Pal
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

Yoda

• Yoda
  • FishHead
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2013, 11:16:04 AM »
This is what i use for my Towee and it works really well, you can probably down size it for a canoe or Kayak.

Carabiner attached to Heavy duty Bungee with S hook, gives a bit of "shock" absorption if it snags a little, (so it doesn't throw you on your a#@!!!)
Attach other end to boat fender with "zip ties" These will break away if hung in fast water.
Attach heavy rope to other end of fender, and then another caribiner to other end, this allows you to change out chain sizes.
If "Zip ties break away fender will float allowing for retrieval.

"Fish, or fish not...There is no Golf..."~Yda~

DSchlact

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2013, 11:55:45 AM »
Yoda - I really like that design, especially how the zip ties will not only break away to keep you safe in fast water, but the floating bumper idea to keep from leaving crap behind in the water.

Curious if you have had it break off at all...much trial and error with Zip tie size to find the right balance of dragging strength and break off safety?

Thanks,
Dave

Yoda

• Yoda
  • FishHead
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2013, 12:06:37 PM »
Yoda - I really like that design, especially how the zip ties will not only break away to keep you safe in fast water, but the floating bumper idea to keep from leaving crap behind in the water.

Curious if you have had it break off at all...much trial and error with Zip tie size to find the right balance of dragging strength and break off safety?

Thanks,
Dave

Yes Dave, I have had it break away several times, i just keep a pack of zip ties in my tackle bag. Two works great for my boat. it will depend on size of Zip tie of course.

MidTNKayakAngler

• Kayak Fishing Aficionado
    • Kayak Fishing Unleashed
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2013, 11:23:18 AM »
Yoda, that's one of the best design I've seen.

Jeremy

Yoda

• Yoda
  • FishHead
Re: Re: Drag Chain
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2013, 11:40:51 AM »
Yoda, that's one of the best design I've seen.

Jeremy
thanks man!! Trial and error!!;-)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2