Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: 4/01 Cumby/CaneyStriper Hunting  (Read 1473 times)

RonS

• My Blackfoot name is "Dances Without Fish"
  • FishHead
  • Hair today, gone tomorrow.
4/01 Cumby/CaneyStriper Hunting
« on: April 02, 2007, 09:18:52 AM »
"WHEW THAT WAS CLOSE!!"

That's what some of our skipjacks were saying after close encounters of the striped kind.

BandDad called the other day and invited me out for a lower Caney patrol in search of the big stripers.  We fished some in the lower Caney and on into the Cumberland.

Caught nice, big baits easily and were soon pulling them along as they did what BanDad calls the "Come Eat Me" dance. They are very good at it and in fact, more than once I had to stop myself from just diving in after them and taking a bite.

There were some exciting moments to be sure, but no hookups on the big boys.

With a worn out set of batteries and virtually no trolling motor power left, we headed back toward the ramp, but decided to try and catch a few skipjack just for grins.

BandDad had a string running of something like 10 casts and 20 fish before it was over. Sometimes 4 at once. I caught one little bitty baby striper, about the size of my hand, and he caught a sauger.

Thanks BandDad. Great day.  Sure beats mowing the lawn.

Yesterday, I was at the bottom. I was at the bottom of a valley, in the river. Then my eyes hiked up the mountains to the snow capped peaks. I thought, "When I am at this lowest place I can be, standing in a river, everything is looking up."

TimM

• FishHead
Re: 4/01 Cumby/CaneyStriper Hunting
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 09:54:44 AM »
It was a great day on the water. 

I can still see that one particular skippy that got a little excited and the next thing we knew it was on top of the water doing complete 360's around the planer board...then the board submerged aggressively for just a bit before floating back to the top and all was quiet for a moment...then saying something like..maybe it'll switch off to the flat line...and  as if on cue the flat line skippy did a repeat performance of the firsst one. Nope, didn't hook any big boys but it was gorgeous outside and it's still exciting to watch the skippies get tortured by 'ol saxatillis morone.  Wish I was there for this overcast morning....

MikeA

• Administrator
Re: 4/01 Cumby/CaneyStriper Hunting
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 10:17:15 AM »
It was good to see you guys Sun. What a day weather wise! Those big clouds, blue sky, and the hills painted with every shade of green you can imagine, made me thankful just to be alive to witness it all.

Sat night’s generation was not what was posted on the web and the water showed up late Sun morning. Once it hit the sun was up and Striper fishing on the fly was pretty much a waste of time.

BD and I spotted 6 to 10 Striper on a shoal that ranged anywhere from 10 to 20 pounds I guess. They spotted us first so it was over before it begun. Clear low water and bright sky is not ideal Striper weather so we switched over to Stripe on the fly. Almost every cast was greeted by a nice Stripe and we even managed to catch a few Walleye too. My right hand is traumatized from all those hard hitting Stripe.

I've heard many good reports of Sauger and Walleye being caught in the main river and below Cordell Hull Dam.

Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956