Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Boogers  (Read 2243 times)

jladdsmith

Boogers
« on: January 08, 2014, 04:43:09 PM »
That's what I'd call them.  You can't flick them off your finger. 

A friend's mother was given a ton of toys to distribute on the Air Base.  One of the kids got these stuck up her nose and had to go to the hospital to get them removed, so they had a lot of this left over.  So I scored a cup of "Gazz It Super Modeling Compound".  It looked to me like a big gob of strike indicators. 

So I got home and started playing with it, and do believe this is a good find.  They are little foam balls held together with some kind of elastomeric coating.  I don't have my fly gear with me right now but put a cluster of 5 little balls on some 6lb fluoro and whipped it as hard as I could on a 6' light spinning rod.  It didn't slip even a little bit.  The coating acts kind of like that rubbery snap back stuff you sometimes find in packaging. 

I don't think it would work as well in warmer temps as the stuff gets a little less viscous with heat.  However it didn't budge when whipped around in room temp air.  The little balls are in different sizes from about BB size to 1/3rd of that.  Might also be good to tie with as it can be easily be trapped under and squished into other shapes like eyeballs or ant bodies.   Mine came in neon yellow.

You can get them at the Dollar Tree. 

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7i79_X35Co[/youtube]

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Boogers
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 09:17:17 PM »
Potential of some kind. Maybe not totally environmentally friendly.   ;)
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

jladdsmith

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 10:43:22 PM »
Oh come on now.  I'm talking about three BB size for a nice strike indicator that won't come off and is reusable. 

A Club Sandwich has about 200x more foam than this.  They break off in the grass in the most pristine areas and people don't chase them down to ruin a run.  Any of the cheap foam indicators sold by BPS have at least twice the foam for the smallest versions, and they are not reusable.  No telling what the runoff is at the zonker strip factory or the dyes used in the popular monster Musky ties.

Pick up one Styrene cup and you've saved 20 years worth of lost strike indicators vs what I started out with (BPS one-use giant orange tippet destroying super sticky dots).  Just sayin! 

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 09:10:10 AM »
Ha ha ha! I know man, I was just bustin' your chops. Looks pretty cool.  :-*
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

troutseeker

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 08:56:52 AM »
I don't know why, but "booger" makes me nauseated. Where did
it all go wrong? Say it..."BUGGER"...it is not that difficult. ::)