Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Two Reviews  (Read 2692 times)

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
Two Reviews
« on: February 28, 2014, 10:20:12 PM »
Started using the TRANGIA alchol stove back in December and am really impressed with the simplicity, lighweight, and overall usefulness of this stove system. This stove is super light and takes up a minimal space in your pack. Compared to a jetboil stove and a MSR whisperlite, the TRANGIA is a bit slower when heating up a 4 cups of water. Seems like the other stoves can bring the water to a boil in a few minutes, while the TRANGIA takes a bit longer(abot 9 minutes) to bring that much liquid to a boil. Since we are not in a hurry when we hike the TRANGIA works well and lightens the load.
The price point is another BIG, BIG advantage.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trangia-Spirit-Burner-with-Screwcap-/281274870707?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417d49ebb3

After 4 years, a few hundred miles, and a couple trips across the country as a carry on, my REI FLASH 30 finally started to wear out. Decided to replace this daypack with the PATAGONIA ASCENTIONIST 35L pack. The ASCENTIONIST is well made, very light,  and compares well with other brand names and pricepoints. This pack is versitle and seems large enough for extended day trips and lightweight overnights. The pack has an internal, removable aluminum
internal frame that allows loads to be carried effortlessly. The external straps also give plenty of room to strap on a fly rod and a pair of wading boots.
If interested in this pack, be aware that the sizes run small and the small/medium will be TOO small if you wear a traditional medium sized shirt or jacket.
I had to return my initial order s/m and exchange with the large/x-large size. I would pass on this if I was a typical Large/x-Large size.
http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/ascensionist-pack-35-liter?p=47995-0

MikeA

• Administrator
Re: Two Reviews
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 08:07:13 AM »
Nice reviews Brady. It's hard to beat the Jetboils for getting water boiling fast from what I've seen. But if you gotta pack it I can see where the weight would be a bit of a concern if all the Jetboils buy you is a few min. What ever you chose the esbit stoves are super cheap and make a great back up.

Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Curtis Martin

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 09:30:40 AM »
Alcohol stoves are hard to beat for their weight and performance. A couple of tips that helps with the boil times is to use HEET in the yellow bottle. A proper windscreen is a must for just about all stoves. An aluminum sheet under the stove used as a reflector also helps keep the ground from pulling the heat out of your stove.

I am currently using a MSR Pocket Rocket for heating up coffee for day hikes and floating in the kayak. On multi day overnights, or cooking for 3-4 people, then I bring the Whisperlite. I have also found the MSR superfuel to be superior to the coleman white gas, but not for the difference in cost.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 11:21:41 AM »
Good reviews Brady. Very well written and informative.

Curtis, I agree, a windscreen is must on any stove.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum