Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Elk River 24 May 2014 observations or looks can be deceiving  (Read 4780 times)

oldmanelrod

Fished Elk on 24 May 14. Got a very late start and arrived at Farris Creek at 1030. The parking lot was over run with campers and vehicles. People actually parking on the road. This is the most congested/jammed up I have seen the parking area in 30 years of fishing the river. Several vehicles and campfires on the waters edge. Lots of "Party People". Anyway got the canoe in the river and proceeded up stream for one hour. Strange thing was that I did not encounter another fisherman, boater, tuber the whole way up. I figured that the tubers hatch would start showing up most any time. Never saw the first one. I did encounter one group of college age canoeist, 21 canoes total, but they were relatively quite and let's face it what better to do than look at a young bikini clad coed paddling down the stream.

Fished from 12:30 to 4:30....I quit at because my arm was worn out. Using 1/64 oz Beatle Spin minus the spins, in shades of brown and chartruse. Caught lots of very healthy rainbows and browns. All had great color and good weight in relation to body length. None of the fish showed the typical hatchery marks.  The water flow was at the normal of 250CFS, very clear and temps seem to actually be a little cooler than the norm for this time of the year. Very little moss.

Some of the "party people" had left the seen when I returned to the Farris Creek bridge. Even the ones who had blocked the launch site with their tents and vehicles. Things turned out pretty good all things considered. And even though me and my fishing buddy were late getting home was wife was happy that I had had a good day fishing.......watch out something is not right.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Elk River 24 May 2014 observations or looks can be deceiving
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 09:31:34 AM »
Sounds like a good day on the water for sure.

Odd you never saw a "hatch".
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

bmb

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 09:44:19 AM »
good to hear! did you catch any brookies at all? i havent seen any in awhile...actually havent caught a brown in a year up there!
good news!...John 3:16:)

oldmanelrod

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 09:51:03 AM »
good to hear! did you catch any brookies at all? i havent seen any in awhile...actually havent caught a brown in a year up there!

Zero brooke and many brown.

oldmanelrod

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 09:55:27 AM »
Sounds like a good day on the water for sure.

Odd you never saw a "hatch".

Yes, I felt very fortunate that no hatch was observed. With the width of the Elk it does not take much of a hatch to cover the river. I guess the hatch must have floated down stream from Farris creek.

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 06:12:59 AM »
I've had several people showing some good looking fish from the Elk lately, one huge brown to boot.

Grumpy

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 06:48:30 PM »
That is great river, one of top choices around here.  Great trip report.

Your wife might be pregnant, I don't know just saying.  Every time I had a kid my wife was happy I had a good day, and then it ended with maybe you should sit down, …Our family is going to grow.

8 months later, the world welcomed Ausit Troutt,
Pal
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

oldmanelrod

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 09:06:23 AM »
That is great river, one of top choices around here.  Great trip report.

Your wife might be pregnant, I don't know just saying.  Every time I had a kid my wife was happy I had a good day, and then it ended with maybe you should sit down, …Our family is going to grow.

8 months later, the world welcomed Ausit Troutt,
Pal

Let's hope not. She had the oven removed 19 years ago.