Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: First Lowcountry Wiles Trip  (Read 3474 times)

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
First Lowcountry Wiles Trip
« on: October 21, 2014, 09:53:31 PM »
It was long overdue.  Only a five hour straight interstate trek southeast from our driveway.  Several of our friends looked at us like we were crazy for never visiting Charleston….We could tell that we’ve been missing out on something great. 
With a last minute confirmation for a VRBO rental on a modest beachouse on Folly Beach, we loaded up our gear, bicycles, and the HogIsland skiff in tow for our first and definitely  NOT last journey to the Lowcountry Marsh.
We did the tourist thing and ate some amazing food:

(Ahi Tuna Nachos with watermelon salsa)

Critters were encountered….and Breelyn got to meet  some new friends  in Catch….Pet…..and Release.

Some critters couldn’t be caught….

Did some wandering solo fishing.  My first exploratory trek up a remote creek on a just falling high tide led me to discover a monster wake pushing downstream.  I launched a bait right in it’s path..and had a tremendous blowup…chaos battle as the redfish sped straight at me , then under my boat….releasing the hook and barreling down the channel from under the stern.  A pretty nice warm welcome, considering I had no clue how to search these fish, and it was my first 30 minutes of casting.  It was a bit uneasy dealing with an 8 foot rise and fall of a full moon flood tide in unfamiliar channels that were literally covered in oyster rakes….wound up giving the Hog a couple new scuffs when I explored spots that were a little too skinny.  So much water…every corner looked great…overwhelming to begin to understand this intriguing fishery.

We decided to charter 2 guides for later morning high tides, fishing two entirely different ends of these harbors.  Both taught me a lot about the short-lived flood tide behavior, where fish come funneling through the grass like Jazzi dog waddling through a hayfield.  I learned about what type of hard bottom to look for…and that perfect , short well spaced grass that extends just above the water line….I could atleast now eliminate plenty of the wrong water I was fishing. 
 It was pretty neat watching redfish move blades of grass as they crawled through the skinny water  With the high sun and clear skies, the fish were ultra-spooky.  Blew a couple good chances thanks to last minute snags on grass as the fish was closing in….and saw some goliath beasts that were cruising….but not eating.  Both days -- both guides mentioned we were fishing to some of the pickiest, most stubborn fish that they’ve encountered.  Still managed to land my first tailing redfish in skinny, clear water….this is some pretty addicting stuff.
When the tide starts to drop…it’s like closing time at a bar at 3 AM….you gotta get out!  That grass your fishing in is about to become a dry lawn, and you better move before the oyster beds start to stick above the waterline.

This is the kind of grass to look for:

Learned a few tips from the locals, and soon became a proficient shrimper with a castnet:
A good catch for one throw:

Some innocent bycatch: 

Cuttlefish??

A Quarter Flounder

Using our free bait…it was time to catch some  fish at the inlet:

We landed about 20 of these puppy drum in an hour…unfortunately, they were all about this 12-14” size…had an absolute blast though.

Finally caught a nicer fish…and we invited him home for dinner:

Had some true quality moments with the girls, and enjoyed some awesome sunsets:

My favorite photo…Bree’s expression pretty much sums up the trip.  We’ll definitely be back—probably for Thanksgiving.

Yoda

• Yoda
  • FishHead
Re: First Lowcountry Wiles Trip
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 06:13:32 AM »
Awesome report!!!!(as always) The Carolina coast has been on our list for a while!! Looks like I need to shorten that list a bit!!
"Fish, or fish not...There is no Golf..."~Yda~

jarrod white

• Jdub
  • Global Moderator
  • "I live because I fish, I work because I have to."
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 06:20:51 AM »
Man that was a great trip you took us on :) thanks for sharing that , I enjoyed reading it and the pictures !
I just don't care!

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 07:00:31 AM »
As always, great trip.

gaspergou

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 10:09:53 AM »
Awesome trip, man!! I'm sure it won't be your last down there!

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 12:17:02 PM »
Another great TR Travis. Great family memories.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

TimM

• FishHead
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 11:00:21 AM »
Great TR and photos Travis.  Thanks for sharing.

jladdsmith

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 03:43:25 PM »
Quarter Flounder with  ;D

The Ravenel bridge is really something isn't it? Another one of those things that pics just do not do justice. 

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 06:58:45 PM »
Nice,
Great pics

-PAl
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 09:28:05 PM »
Thanks guys.
That water has so many variables, and so many fish that you could easily get skunked or go blind by dumb luck,  and chance across a flat loaded with tailing fish. 

On my last day, I worked the MinnKota way back into a creek...spooked off about a 15 lb tarpon, which was totally unexpected, and wound up stalking about a 12 lb tailer on foot for about 100 yards. I found the right kind of grass, and sure enough, there was a bluish gray tail flapping in the air about every 10 yards as the fish meandered through the flooded lawn.  It was so nerve racking to stalk and cast towards the right..watch the fish wander off left, only to reappear  5 yards away off his previous course.  Just  as I was closing in for the kill shot, the fish goes down, only to reappear by my feet and spook off with a giant splash that about made me fall over from being startled.

I'm already scoping out some push poles for next Spring.  Can't wait to learn another little facet of this fishery.  The winter schools are supposed the be fun, of I can make it back.

Musky have been getting lonely around here.  Hope to pay them more attention in November.

Later guys.