Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Hometown Creekin'  (Read 5014 times)

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
Hometown Creekin'
« on: October 27, 2014, 10:06:58 PM »
Hometown Creekin’

So it was time to give poor Crystal a break.  She’s been working momma-duty way beyond her share, so it was my turn to take the reins and give her a day to relax and let a massage work out the knots in her tense back.  What a better way to spend the day than  with Breelyn and Jazzi Dog than to explore a hometown mountain blueline that’s been calling me for a long time.  I recently heard two accounts from individuals who have landed browns over 2 feet long out of this surprisingly skinny water.
In anticipation for the clear, low flows, I tied a couple of variations of my favorite dry….the Adams.  No matter what stream, this bug has always been my favorite—especially when it’s clear.  In my college days I even had one tattooed on my right shoulder before my fishing journey out West.

So Crystal departs for her day, and once I loaded up Jazzi, Bree had already climbed into the driver seat-- ready to hit the road.

Do you want to go to Walmart?

How about fishing in the mountains?

Hit the local lunch spot….Bree stole my cornbread  from my soup beans.

A short little stroll up a woodsy trail, under the brilliant canopy that will probably be scattered on the ground and water by next week. 

Jazzi stayed close by on the creekside, and I carried Bree in the backpack…in my last wet wading trip of the year.

I really expected to find this small creek overrun by stocker rainbows since the local hatcheries keep the nearby creeks well supplied; however, I was surprised to discover the abundance of wild browns,  which haven’t been stocked in over a decade.  I can honestly say I regret the hundreds of times I passed this place, and look forward to exploring every bend and riffle.  Breelyn still did great in the backpack, but at times she would get slightly fussy.  Once I caught a fish, she was all smiles, and wanted to pet every one before I released them.  The game became: catch a fish to keep baby girl happy.  Poor Jazzi made a few attempts to swim out to stay beside my feet; she soon realized her size limits, and settled to the bank to dry off.

Could have eaten this one on a saltine:

It was great to spend a day with the girls. I can’t wait for the Spring hatches  so I can pick up where I left off.  Made a grocery run yesterday, and still had the rod in the back seat…So I stopped and hit another riffle and  got this feisty bow in the same creek:

On a side note, my brother Jay has been venturing further into the backcountry  in my backyard and finding some outstanding brookie water.  He’s hiking several miles in solo…and the further he goes, the bigger the fish and the piles of bear poop grow.  He’s turned his back on some great water due to dimming sunlight and getting spooked.  I’ll have to explore those drainages next spring.

Happy fall fishing, guys.
Travis 

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
Re: Hometown Creekin'
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 05:52:39 AM »
It's a good thing i don't live that close to blue lines, i'd be more useless ::) Your gonna have to turn me onto those stream names by PM.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 07:30:31 AM »
Very nice TR Travis. Beautiful memories being built with your family are priceless.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 10:00:30 AM »
Nice!

gaspergou

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 10:07:06 AM »
Fantastic! Breelyn is really going to enjoy driving the Hog!! 

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 09:59:55 AM »
Great report Travis! I remember when our fall fishing was much different but these places and fish are just as special. Well almost.   :D
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 11:07:23 PM »
Thanks fellas.  Plenty if blue lines in my area...if any of you guys find your way up to the NC/TN line and would like to explore them...I'll try my best to oblige and help you on your way.
Grumpy, I'll send you some stream names to mull over until the spring hatches come back next April.

Mike, I can't wait for another October like we had back in '08.  It will get that good again, I know...and we'll be there to welcome its return.

Glad I got to wetwade when I did.  Bree made these prints on our porch this morning.

Happy Year's end fishing to everyone for the rest of 2014.

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 07:26:32 AM »
not ready for that, we actually had a few flurries Friday night :o