Cold Water Fishing Reports > Fly Fishing General Discussion

Tips and tricks.

(1/7) > >>

MikeA:
Here's a place holder for all those cool little knots or tips you learn but forget when you take a break for a few months  ;D.  I'll start off with one that I'll never forget the castwell knot.  This knot is simply amazing.  Saved me many times when welded loops fail or my fly lne broke because I went to 30 pound leader.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/knots/castwell.php

MikeA:
Here's another one all the big fly chunkers should use. This one little cheap swivel will save welded loops, prevent line twist, prevent line tangles by preventing twist, won't have any negative effect on anything. Loop one on I promise you'll be impressed. 

MikeA:
Our friend Dave turned me onto this. I'd tried it with other running lines but never really liked it.
Then I tried Suffix. It took some time but I've pretty much gotten to where I prefer suffix over integrated lines. Here's why.
It's cheap. Buy Some rio t14 or T whatever,  some braided loops and your set. 
Casts for miles with little effort. Save the shoulders!
One spool of it will fill many reels and refills 
The mono casts easier and further. 
I'm just as accurate. Maybe more.
Generally less tangles. 
When all is lost simply cut the knotted section out and you're back on the water with brand new running line. 
Cut the heads off your old destroyed integrated lines, put a loop on them and they work great with the suffix. 

It's not for everyone and I wasn't a fan for awhile but it's really grown on me over the years and now I use it on all weights from 6 up.

MikeA:
This shit works great sprayed on any fly or mono line, reels that are sticky, icy guides, etc etc. 

Bfish:
Similar, I think Tectan is repackaged as Frog Hair.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version