Holy Crap...Look at all these other forum sections! ~ "Gordie" > Fishing Product Review

Tippet topic

(1/2) > >>

MikeA:
Today I kept noticing that my tippet wasn't anywhere near as strong as it should be. Fish after fish breaking off costing me flies, wool, and time to retie each time.  Had the life of my seagar 2 lb tippet that I respool onto a tippet spool finally reached a shelf life? After all the bragging about it lasting forever? When I got home I pulled the spool outa the tippet holder and right away I knew what happened.  It was almost empty so I was actually using what was left from the original spool.  You know the stuff they sell everywhere for ungodly prices. I don't want to bash a flyfishing company but they are doing something to tippet that limits the shelf life.  I've seen it over and over. Its why I switched to using bulk conventional fluro. Friends of mine have notice this as well.
I've got a 2000 yard filler spool of 2 lb fluro seagar that I've had for at least 5 years. I bought it from eBay and it had dust on it when I got it. It's just as strong today as the day I bought it. You can leave it in water, sun, cold , ice, heat, and nothing hurts it. So why does tippet start to deteriorate?

Doesn't really  matter I guess. I just respelled about 250 yards onto my tippet spool so it'll be a couple years or more before I'll question my tippet again....

MikeA:
I suspect they are trying to be eco friendly and making this stuff so that it does break down.

bee:
Seagur 6x is IMO so much stronger and durable than the other products of that size is it not much of  problem for me to make myself spend the money to use it.   I am buying regular spools though from a good source less than retail. Not tired the bulk spools you are describing; maybe i should as i go through 9-10 regular spools a season i think.

MikeA:
I wouldn't mind buying the guide spools if I knew it would last. I'm gun shy on any of the "Flyfishing" fluro now.

jarrod white:
I have a 1500 yard spool of 2lb stren I've been using for several years ... I spool it onto tippet spools and rock on. Who cares right :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version