Holy Crap...Look at all these other forum sections! ~ "Gordie" > Rod Building

SEE THIS

(1/2) > >>

MikeA:
http://www.mudhole.com/Components-Rod-Building/rod-guides-components/fly-fishing-rod-guides

Fly fishing guides aren't just wire snake guides anymore, and haven't been for years. I built my first one with zirconia guides several years ago... For the love of God, please please please somebody start using some decent guides on factory rods!!!! I mean if you're gonna pay upwards of $800 for a high end rod shouldn't you get a high end rod? You should see and feel these on a nice Sage blue blank.

Steve H:
I bet those are buttery smooth.

TWiles:
I’m trying to stray from ANY ceramic guides forever.  If the ring flexes when bent...all ceramics will crack—which really blows.  Most high performance musky rods use eyes that are all alloy.

JoelO:
but it sure is purty!  ;D

MikeA:
In all my years and rods I've had a few crack. I do tend to take pretty good care of them though. I've had as many or more snake guides break or get pulled out from under the wrap. You can't forhan lock a snake guide in place like you can a single foot.  The ceramic ones that cracked were cheap, not fuji. Certainly not fuji alconites. Like I said for 8 or 900 dollars they should be putting some good guides on then. Those wires guides are the cheapest guides you can buy......

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version