Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: 3/4/2006 Smallmouth/ Muskie  (Read 2375 times)

MikeA

• Administrator
3/4/2006 Smallmouth/ Muskie
« on: March 06, 2006, 10:22:26 AM »
I fished alone Sat and missed a Very large Muskie,,,, again!!!!!!!!!!! I have set the hook on some large fish in my fishing career and this was no exception. This was the only real hit I got on this trip which surprised me a little. I guess the Muskie are done spawning and are moving out.

Smallmouth was slow but I expect it might pick up very soon.

Crick minners were the bait of choice. Maybe one of these days I'll get all fancy and fly fish only for all species,,,,, Naaaaaaaa!
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

RonS

• My Blackfoot name is "Dances Without Fish"
  • FishHead
  • Hair today, gone tomorrow.
Re: 3/4/2006 Smallmouth/ Muskie
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 10:26:46 AM »
Mike, what is it about the Muskie that makes them hard to keep on the hook, or hard to hook up, whichever it is.

Do they have a hard mouth like a gar?
Yesterday, I was at the bottom. I was at the bottom of a valley, in the river. Then my eyes hiked up the mountains to the snow capped peaks. I thought, "When I am at this lowest place I can be, standing in a river, everything is looking up."

MikeA

• Administrator
Re: 3/4/2006 Smallmouth/ Muskie
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 03:53:49 PM »
Not sure Ron. Several times I‘ve set the hook hard with 30# spectra line on a stiff Striper style rod and it felt like I set on a brick wall. This was followed by some head shaking and then the slack line with an empty hook. BD, (who is still a Muskie virgin BTW :'() has seen and experienced this as well. The one little guy I caught on 6# mono, had so many teeth that I didn’t bother feeling around in his mouth for hardness but I suspect they are iron mouthed beasts. The good news is, they are very predictable, readily take bait, and are usually easy to locate so you have a good chance to try several times during a day to hook one.

Mike
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956