Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: I wish I had better news.  (Read 853 times)

MikeA

• Administrator
I wish I had better news.
« on: January 30, 2021, 07:28:24 PM »
Fri Twiles and I took off on a hopefully epic multi day Musky trip. He was celebrating his birthday and I was too, I guess. We had a great trip Fri. I decided to mostly gear fish and Travis was kind enough to provide me with some choice lures. Half way into the day I got a nice 40 something on a glide bait. Just an awesome eat right at the boat!  We fished hard for a few more hours till our bellies were getting loud, so we took a break and ate a sandwich. Which Travis was also kind enough to share with me... I was kinda/very unprepared this trip. After we ate, I stood up and noticed a nice seam that I thought ought to hold a fish. One cast later and I had the second fish of the day. Low 40 high 30?? I don't really care about how long they are and don't bother measuring them. They're all hard to catch IMO. I retired that glide bait because the last fish did some damage that we didn't want to spread before we could fix it. Again Travis handed me one of his baits and said here try this one. A Few hours later another Musky inhaled that lure also. I had the hot hand and a good guide. this day. I switched to a bait that I have had a few years just to see if it would work. I got a small one to follow and circle a few times,,, but no eat. We retired at dark, ate some great Mexican and went to bed.

Day two. Headed out early and got us a good hearty breakfast while waiting for the temps to get above 32. We then loaded up and headed out. While unloading, Travis forgot to unhook the boat from the bow eye. He unhooked it and told me to back up a little bit. When I did, the boat slid and somehow his ring finger was not in a good place. It was bad. Really bad. :-X :o :'(  It was maybe worse than when Craig shattered his ankle jumping from my boat years ago. At least you couldn't see that carnage. We spent the rest of today getting Travis fixed up and ready for some reconstructive surgery. The point of this post isn't to make light of what happened. It's to ask you guys to pray for our buddy. I've know Travis for many years and he's a great guy. Always kind and caring and willing to share his fishing. He was very good to me all day Fri and never once even complained when I was hogging the all the fish on his baits! Ya'll say a little prayer for our long time friend. He makes his living with that hand and this isn't the most ideal situation. Like many small business owners he's been through alot already.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Bfish

• FishHead
Re: I wish I had better news.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 08:29:23 PM »
Knee time here, get that finger healed. 

fairweatherfish

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 11:59:23 AM »
I’ll be praying for his recovery.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 10:03:14 AM »
Praying for Travis' recovery.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 01:49:45 PM »
Godspeed TW

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 03:59:54 PM »
You should have seen the conditions. The day was cloudy, cold, perfect water clarity and flow. It’s the kind of day Musky just pile up and wait to eat whatever you throw at them. The excitement was palpable. I know it killed him to leave. He says he’s doing well and somehow it wasn’t as bad as expected. He’s expected to recover. I was thinking maybe he would need to replace his finger with like a set of nippers or a hook sharpener or something like that. Glad that’s not the case.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

bee

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 08:26:23 AM »
Sure sorry to hear about Travis' injury .  Wishing him the best for a speedy recovery and the ability to get back to his dentist practice .