Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Browns laying in still water on Ocoee river  (Read 5524 times)

ERICNEWT

Browns laying in still water on Ocoee river
« on: November 28, 2006, 06:22:44 PM »
I was over in Murphy, NC last week.  Does anyone know any good fishing spots in that area of the country?  I fished the upper Nantahala and caught a few small browns.  I stopped along the Ocoee river on my way back home to see if I could spot some trout.  I didn't see any trout in the currents, but I spotted quite a few in shallow, clear, no current water just lying there, until I spooked them.  It was like they were trying to hide by lying still.  There was no generation happening on the river.

Is this common for browns?  Why were they not feeding in the currents?

MikeA

• Administrator
Re: Browns laying in still water on Ocoee river
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 06:57:49 PM »
Not that I can help ya here but my grandfather had a summer house close to Murphy in a little place called Bear Paw just below the Hiawassee dam. There were some creeks around that area that held Trout but I really don't remember much about them. It’s an extremely beautiful area as I recall. We rafted the Nantahala a couple of times. I would love to go back and fish it now.

My guess is the Browns were gathered up recovering from the spawn??
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 07:31:15 PM »
I'm surprised about the Browns in the Ocoee.  It was my understanding that all the upstream Copper mines and dissolved solutes (I can't remember the specific chemical names) had made that river nearly sterile....a rafting guide told me that once...usually just a few straggler carp and hearty sunfish are the only fish we see there in summer time.  Goforth Creek has some wild/& mostly stocked trout.
Met some guests on the Henry's Fork who spoke highly of the Upper Hiwassee in the Murphy area...it's all private though :-[.
Frog Mountain Wilderness area on several miles of backroads beyond dam #2? has a stocked stream with browns and rainbows---my friends told me about 15+"  fish there--never fished it....yet.
The upper Nantahala can be WONDERFUL in late spring--great hatches, just a little more challenging during the clear water winters---If they ever shut off the generators, make sure you fish the lower river----it's crawling with trout---we caught a 17" Brookie a few seasons back....and I've heard talk of some monster browns---they just rarely stop flowing. 
A hike up Deep Creek flowing into Bryson City fishes well.......backpacking 4 mile hike in to Slickrock Creek is supposed to be the most amazing summer time small stream dry fly fishing----lots of bears, though...I've heard.

Most of my experience in the general area is the Hiwasse Tailwater around Reliance, Tellico R, and Toccoa R in Mineral Bluff, GA.

Travis

ERICNEWT

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 08:46:11 PM »
I had heard from a river guide that there were no trout as well.  But since the river was low, I decided to check it out.  I saw at least 15 trout in a few hundred yard section of the river.  Guess they are making a come back.  The trout ranged in size from 6 inches to probably 18 inches.  Thanks for the information on the other spots to fish in the area.  They run the generators so often on the lower Nantahala it is difficult to fish it.  But will keep you comments in mind.

troutwag

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 11:21:56 PM »
After the 1st of the year, maybe even now you should try Snowbird in Robbinsville or Big Santeetlah, both get Steelhead runs out of Santeetlah lake.  Check the Snowbird listing on Little River Outfitter's site.
I may be sorry for running my mouth one of these days, I have have had it to myself all winter long for the past four years!
Best,

ERICNEWT

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 02:54:45 PM »
After the 1st of the year, maybe even now you should try Snowbird in Robbinsville or Big Santeetlah, both get Steelhead runs out of Santeetlah lake.  Check the Snowbird listing on Little River Outfitter's site.
I may be sorry for running my mouth one of these days, I have have had it to myself all winter long for the past four years!
Best,

Thanks for the feedback.  I have not ever tried up here.  I am new to the Murphy area.  Hopefully, we can get back up to the cabin after the first of the year and try it out.  I have never fished for Steelhead.  What do you recommend?