Cold Water Fishing Reports > Fly Fishing General Discussion

Fly fishing on the lake

(1/1)

Flatrock:
I buried my father this yr and acquired his Fenwick fly rod and a large assortment of flies, streamers and poppers along with everything needed to tie your own including material. 

I know we envision fly fishing in waders knee deep in clear rolling waters, being one with nature...  but does anyone ever fly fish off the bow of their boat along the shores on a lake like Center Hill ?    I haven't fly fished in 45 yrs, but I still remember a few things.  Not sure my eyes can see tieing on these tiny flies, but I'd be curious to hear if anyone else does this.   I bass & catfish and usually its either I'm catching them or more so NOT...  Has anyone ever crappie fished using a fly rod...  I can't help but to think that would be fun as they put up a good fight. 

I'm just not sure where to begin or what to use.   Any help would be appreciated.

MikeA:
Centerhill is a tough lake with gear. Bluegill would be your best best. I've fished it with a fly rod several times and it's ok but nothing to write home about. Clousers in many sizes will catch the bass and small buggers will get the bluegill.

Steve H:
Mike is 100% correct on this. Creep up in the backwaters and creek mouth and you will catch some nice bream and bass for sure.

Skunkedagain:
The blue vein throbber and pumpkin seed fly are always my go to. Just be sure to use a 16’ leader and 7x. Delbert says he’s been doing good out there around sunup right in the middle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version