Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Tuna hunting...  (Read 1849 times)

TimM

• FishHead
Tuna hunting...
« on: October 23, 2014, 11:10:39 AM »
Just back from my annual fall GOM offshore trip.  The weather was amazing and though the fish had been a bit scattered Capt. Bill put us on them with a better than average size for the YFT as well as better than typical numbers.  Caught them several ways including chunking , butterfly jigging and on top water lures.  It's hard to describe what it looks like when a 50 lb+ tuna blasts a top water lure.  :o  Confirmed that Larry Dahlbergs' "Mr. Wiggly" will in fact catch tuna but as suspected doesn't stand up to their abuse very well.   ;D  Anyone that really likes a serious fight with a fish should catch a YFT at least once -- they are just a bad @ss fish!    Filled in the gaps between the YFT with blackfin tuna. They are some powerful little fish.   Capt. Bill also put us on some nice grouper and (not red) snapper during the mid day when the tuna bite was off.  Have to say though that when they're in 300' +/- of water it becomes a bit much like work in my view.  I'd rather just have a fish burning line off the reel at a scary rate than a slug fest with a pound of lead working against me at depths that take sooooo long to even reach.  Anyway - I won't complain when we're eating the fish that produced!

Probably the most interesting part of the trip for me was when in more or less the middle of the night we had schools of squid and flying fish hanging around under the boat in an attempt to evade the predators in the area.  I'd never seen live squid in the wild before -- man are those critters fast!  Cool to see the food chain in action.

The tally:

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
Re: Tuna hunting...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 06:14:32 AM »
Looks like it was another great trip, Tim.  I can't wait to catch my first Yellowfin.  I'm sure the topwater crashes are amazing.  I bet a fly rod would get the ultimate test when those fish start peeling line.

When's the TFTN fish cookout?

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 08:31:34 AM »
Wow, now that is a good harvest! Well done.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

TimM

• FishHead
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 09:56:37 AM »
  I bet a fly rod would get the ultimate test when those fish start peeling line.

After having caught a couple of 20 lb. class blackfin tuna on an 11 weight fly rod last year I really don't know if I'd even want to try to tackle a YFT of any size on the fly. That would be getting back to the "more like work" side of the ledger. Then again if you accomplished it that would really be something - no doubt about that.   I think it's given that you'd have to chase them with the boat and then just hope they didn't decide to sound. They are just pure swimming muscle with a hydrodynamically optimized design.

JayA

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 10:15:48 AM »
Very Cool. 

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 01:44:14 PM »
Yum
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.