Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: The last thing I expected...  (Read 3632 times)

gaspergou

• Global Moderator
The last thing I expected...
« on: September 19, 2013, 08:39:48 PM »
So I had a couple free hours this afternoon, and figured I'd go down to the river and toss little threadfin shad patterns on a 6wt for skippies. Something considerably bigger than a skipjack hammered it...

I'm still amazed I got it to the bank. It ran out into fast water twice, and almost did the slalom course between some dock pilings. I've heard of people catching them on cut bait, but always assumed it was an accident. I suppose that this could have been too, but the fly was right in the inside corner of the mouth. There were at least two others that came up and crashed through schools of small threadfins while I was watching... makes me wonder if they switch to piscivory when they have the chance?!

jladdsmith

Re: The last thing I expected...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 09:21:23 PM »
That is nuts!  I guess after all your hours on the water you're due some special treatment. 

Is that a record of some sort now?  Not that anyone would try to best it...

gaspergou

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 09:29:43 PM »
Nuts, yeah... but not even close to any record. Paddlefish get massive, and some folks have gotten them on fly up in the Dakotas & eastern Montana that are just stupid big.

That said, it was all sorts of fun.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 09:46:17 PM »
On a fly. Bet I know what material that was tied with.  :D
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 10:04:46 PM »
Sweet Dave, what a great catch.  I remember watching those fish chow down on dead bait during the tank feedings in the Chatt aquarium, so I know they have some sporadic moments of carnivorous behavior.  I bet he fought like a freight train.
Go gitcha anotherun'.

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 06:32:58 AM »
Cool Dave, years ago on the Caney there was a massive one that showed up for a couple of spring seasons, hung out at Happy Hollow. It would hangout under my drifter & we were guaranteed not to catch a fish untl we got to the riffles at the rest area & it couldn't get through.
I was trying to get through some folks on one float & one guy was being an arse & told me to go behind him in 5" of water, backstroked a few times on the oars, that big thing came out from under the boat & the guy took off running, told him i didn't want sick my fish on him the next time ;D

Grumpy

Yoda

• Yoda
  • FishHead
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 06:55:24 AM »
Awesome!!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

"Fish, or fish not...There is no Golf..."~Yda~

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 08:24:16 AM »
Very cool Dave!

Saw that big one a few years ago Grumpy between the first two 40 bridges behind the rest area. Was amazed at how massive it was.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum