Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Didymo  (Read 2719 times)

Travis C.

Didymo
« on: January 02, 2009, 10:27:42 AM »
One other things guys, can someone let me know if there is Didymo in the Obey?

If you were to go below Moody's ramp there seeemd to be what looked like "rock snot" on the the bottom. I have never seen this in the water before but plenty of pictures and this is the only time I have ever came away thinking that some might have been this stuff.

bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Didymo
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 04:13:56 PM »
I didn't remember noticing it when I was there at Christmas, but I wasn't really looking either.  I imagine if it's not there, it's likely that it will get there.  It's in the Cumberland below Wolf Creek, and that river occasionally backfills somewhat into the Obey when the Cumberland's generating heavily and the Obey isn't.

On the other hand, generally speaking, there is a lot of algae and funk on the bottom downstream from the hatchery, presumably due to the hatchery effluent.  It's possible that's what you saw.

It could be pretty heavy on the bottom in a lot of places on the Obey and you wouldn't know, since so much of the river is so deep.  Some folks call the Caney "the Ditch" but that descriptor seems to fit the Obey a lot better to me.

bd

Travis C.

Re: Didymo
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 04:32:08 PM »
I sure hope that is all it was.

The last thing we need is that stuff in all our tailwaters.