Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Wind River Range  (Read 2265 times)

BP

Wind River Range
« on: August 15, 2011, 05:28:12 PM »
Anybody spent any time in the Wind River Range? Going out there in about two weeks. Will fly into Jackson Hole and then on to Pinedale. Backpacking for about six days and five nights. Will start out at the Big Sandy and go up toward Big Sandy lake and then on towards Cirque de Towers. Any hints or tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Aquaholic

• FishHead
Re: Wind River Range
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 08:22:38 AM »
BP- I was in the Winds July 7-17 of this year.  We had some good fishing, hiking, bear battles etc.  Pm me if you want any info.

Gofisher

• FishHead
  • "Sometimes I just don't pay attention!"
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 09:14:13 AM »
Bear battles?   :o
"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Gierach

TheYiman

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 11:26:49 AM »
I have spent a good bit of time in the Winds. 

2 suggestions -

1) Get Rich Osthoff's Fly Fishing the Rocky Mountain Backcountry and study up on the area you are going - quick, I know you are short on time but trust me you'll be glad you check out this book

2) Headnet and a spare headnet

BP

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 06:14:44 PM »
Thanks to all who reponded. I will certainly take the head nets and other insect repellant gear. I hiked into the Bechler meadows in Yellowstone and was quickly educated to the bug problems that can occur with standing water in low lying areas! Hopefully I will learn some things about this great area and be able to give an update when I get back.
BP

Bfish

• FishHead
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 06:30:02 PM »
My understanding is don't plan on finding any hotels that aren't full. Most RV campgrounds will be full too. Area is loaded with oil men.

Aquaholic

• FishHead
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 07:12:38 PM »
I have spent a good bit of time in the Winds. 

2 suggestions -

1) Get Rich Osthoff's Fly Fishing the Rocky Mountain Backcountry and study up on the area you are going - quick, I know you are short on time but trust me you'll be glad you check out this book

2) Headnet and a spare headnet

Very good advice.  You have to have a headnet and lot's of deet.  I'm getting a Bug Shirt before next years trip.   http://www.bugshirt.com/diagrams.htm

There was a lot of standing water when we were there.  This was a huge snow year and there are more mosquitos than normal.  Most of our trip, we were above tree-line, but when we were below tree-line, it was long sleeves, pants and headnets.  Skeeters were bad. 

Rich's book is the bible for backcountry fishing.  His favorite place is in the Winds.  Lot's of good info in his book.

What kind of fish are you looking for?

Yea, we had "problem" bear....that needed educating.

we we're covered....if we had needed it.  It was just a big boar black bear who wasn't scared at all.