Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Look at this farce  (Read 6141 times)

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
Look at this farce
« on: October 31, 2007, 10:13:11 PM »
 this is above Farris Creek Bridge, was this way for over a mile, had to plow with the 55 Maxxum trolling motor with the prop just in the water, cutting my way upstream.

can anyone identify this aquatic weed? This weed is under most all of the stream bed, the duck weed in this photo is clinging to the weed.

the Elk use to have some, but after the water cress farms came in, it has exploded. I bet they sell their cress as "organic" bet they pour the triple 15 to the water weeds ;D, cause around and below the outlets sure is full of growth.

MikeA

• Administrator
  • https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http
Re: Look at this farce
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 06:09:14 AM »
Brazilian elodea or Hydrilla maybe? I like the water cress its pretty tasty.
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 10:03:58 AM »
Dayum, that is above Farris Creek Bridge? Last time I fished there is was crystal clear and I caught some nice Brown's.

Like Mike, I like the Water Cress but that is just making the water nasty.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

toddro

• FishHead
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 11:07:49 AM »
wow - last time I was at the Elk it was bad, but that is sick!  Is that water moving much in that area?  I was up near the dam last spring and the water was barely moving, so little flow that there were alot of areas of stagnant, nasty water...
"A passion for steelhead is a hard ride. It is all consuming. God help the woman, man, or child who hopes to compete for some small claim to the passion in the angler so stricken." Bill McMillan, Foreword- A Passion for Steelhead

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 08:51:38 PM »
actually was more current than I would have expected, was always some duckweed in the current, that's the green stuff on top, actually it's a very small clover looking plant. The stuff under it is what will stop you dead in your tracks.

adamtn

• set....Set....SET!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 12:47:20 PM »
i've been caught in that mess before. It will show you how 'weedless' a trolling motor really is. Last year if you grabbed a handfull of that stuff it was crawling with bugs, good luck fishing in it though.

oldmanelrod

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 10:39:10 AM »
I have not fished the Elk in over a year so I have lost track of the weed growth there.  So 11 years later does the weed still get as bad as it was in your 2007 picture?

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 04:50:45 AM »
I haven't been on the Elk since a year ago last month, putting my time into chasing Carp with my boat, water is very off color down my way. Have a new water cress farm just above my place in Kelso, more weeds.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 10:31:22 AM »
Is there even a reason to buy a Trout stamp for mid tn anymore???
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 11:46:53 AM »
Since I fised the ultra clear glacial water of BC RLK River, no interrst in TN Elk, nasty

oldmanelrod

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 08:56:18 AM »
Just how big a role do you personally feel the water cress farms have in the weed problem in the Elk?

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 02:11:14 PM »
The stones river goes off in the winter.   ;) :) :)

What you all are going through is tough.  Much like the west coast of fl right now.  Follow the money and you will find the root cause of most problems.

The outfitter up there almost goes out business, economy goes to crap, gas goes to the moon, staycations become popular, outfitters building somehow burns down, bigger building goes up, the Caney fork becomes “Joel’s River”. Self named, heard him call it that. Move fwd 10 years, can’t toss a 4wt without hanging a person.   Joel is high on the hog living the dream while his river is more polluted then ever. 

I shake my head and say out loud...
Not my monkey not my zoo!!!!!!

Pal

Pal
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 03:55:43 PM »
The hipsters are descending to start the rape an pillage now. People who thought I was a D--K,,,, they have no idea what it's in for now. I tried and succeeded to protect a certain thing for years.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2018, 07:15:17 AM »
This is why I didn't even buy a trout stamp this year.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

kaisersoze

• FishHead
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2018, 08:10:15 AM »
Hey Mike, why not put together a “Fall 2018: Rippin’ the Redds!” gathering? We can trash a couple state campgrounds too like everyone else is doing to that area
Who is John Galt?