Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Muskies in the Pigeon River  (Read 5363 times)

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
Muskies in the Pigeon River
« on: September 15, 2016, 08:06:46 AM »
Hey Dave...I knew this would get your attention.

Who do I have to contact with TWRA to see if this is a TN possibility.
I have absolutely NO DOUBT this could be even a better fishery than the James River if TN would consider stocking it.  Most of its flow is heavily shaded.  It has a high elevation tailwater year round cold flow.  Dark tannic stain with nutrients with tons of vegetation and long deep flat pools in its lower sections.
It's also loaded with walleyes, smallies, and an incredible amount of chubs and large suckers.

Most regard it as a nonharvest waterway since the NC paper mill pollution upstream.

Every single trait I just described also describes the James River.

Another plus is that it feeds into the French Broad...which already has an established musky population, but one that does not thrive due to warmer temps.

I've never seen a river with so much bait.  Any way we could start a conversation to see if our state would consider this Fishery?
I have no doubt it would produce state record fish.

gaspergou

• Global Moderator
Re: Muskies in the Pigeon River
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 10:49:01 AM »
Yep, it did.

Bart Carter, 423-522-2462. I'll ask a couple other folks, too. ;)

Considering all the other stuff they're trying to reintroduce to the Pigeon, muskies wouldn't be out of place. The dams have kept a lot of native fish from coming back on their own. That said, the smallmouth population is one of the best in the state...

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 12:28:41 PM »

Just imagine, in between the rumbling cobblestone shoals, the habitat of Muskies lying in the logjams, and undercut rockshelves and cliff shadows.

It wouldn't suffer the drought conditions that starve the plateau drainages. Im tired of seeing resident fish that are super skinny due to lack of food and good flows.

Im sure Newport could use the economic boost of winter anglers chasing fish when the frigid waters turn gin clear.

MikeA

• Administrator
  • https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 12:41:31 PM »
I'd swear they are already in there just looking at those pics.
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

Bfish

• FishHead
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 01:01:38 PM »
Dave, do you have any thoughts on muskie in the Hiwassee, say two rivers to the paper mill section? 

I mentioned it to Travis Scott many years back, and got a big heck no.  Never got to hear an explanation as to why not, as our conversation got interrupted by something else. Since Region III is no longer stocking the Rock Island headwaters, maybe this might be a viable location within the region. 

PS I think the dirty bird is a good location too.

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 01:08:42 PM »
I'm sure a few French Braod Muskies have found their way up there.  The walleyes sure have.  It's the only fishery where I won't eat em. 
Muskie fishing just requires that confidence factor.  You have to KNOW they're there.  That's the only thing that will keep you casting 10 hours straight just for a bite.
The shoals are great, but they'd definitely always be smallie heaven.  Man those deep flats though.  It's harder to catch smallies in there, so I often bypass them.  If Muskies were abundant, that's the only water I'd target.

I get frustrated with Muskie rivers with fish that no one can reach safely.  This entire river is accessible with Ramps, but you gotta use canoes and rafts/drifters, paddleboards etc  to use it.  No Jets would also kinda be nice to keep fish from getting pounded in small habitat like we now see in the Collins.

Hiwasse would be interesting, but your trout guides may object. And the TN river convergence may not be where TWRA wants Muskies to wind up.

gaspergou

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 02:03:31 PM »
Dave, do you have any thoughts on muskie in the Hiwassee, say two rivers to the paper mill section? 

I mentioned it to Travis Scott many years back, and got a big heck no.  Never got to hear an explanation as to why not..

I think there was (and still is) the perception of muskies as a niche fishery in TN, and that TWRA didn't actually expect it to take off the way it has, both in increasing popularity, and naturally reproducing populations. ;)

Given some recent zooarchaeological work that suggest that both muskies AND northern pike (!) occupied parts of the lower Tennessee within the past couple 1000 years, arguments that "they're not native, don't belong, or will eat all of species X" are not really supported. 

gaspergou

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 02:08:37 PM »
I get frustrated with Muskie rivers with fish that no one can reach safely

Well then, it's time to get on some remote water. I'm tied up the next couple of weekends, but if you can sneak out for a couple days in early Oct, gimme a yell. I've got a SUP adventure in mind...

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 02:55:28 PM »
There's nothing so depressing as looking through a pair of warm Costa polarized lenses at a beautiful river, lined with a kaleidoscope leaves and all the Fall spender. Then realizing, you're Musky fishing. Oct is made for catching fish.  8)

There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

gaspergou

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 03:06:51 PM »
Pfff. You can have both, you know. ;)

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 03:19:17 PM »
LOL If only there were Musky in the Trout rivers. Oh, wait....

Bfish

• FishHead
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 03:49:14 PM »
….Hiwasse would be interesting, but your trout guides may object. And the TN river convergence may not be where TWRA wants Muskies to wind up.

oh they will definitely object, however I think it would be unfounded.  The habitat is very separated  due to water fluctuations, IMO.  Gee Creek/Taylor's island would be about the top of the musky area (at no flow), then at full flow the shallow shoals should keep them out (unlike the stripers ;D).  The area I am talking about is loaded with perch and lots of "rough" fish.  Of course, there are threatened/endangered species to watch out for too (the translocated population of snail darters is HUGE).  Being on the mainstem TN should not be a concern, muskie already have access to pass into Watts Bar at Melton Hill and you have an established population in the Obed/Emory watershed.

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 04:11:47 PM »
I get frustrated with Muskie rivers with fish that no one can reach safely

Well then, it's time to get on some remote water. I'm tied up the next couple of weekends, but if you can sneak out for a couple days in early Oct, gimme a yell. I've got a SUP adventure in mind...

Dave, you read my mind.  I should be able to make some Oct dates work.  Let's hit it before the leaves fall.

bee

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 08:51:33 PM »
Wouldn't be surprised if muskies aren't already in Pigeon, since the 'Chucky and French Broad  confluences are each  just a few miles from where you took your pictures. At least they could be there if they wanted to be there.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2016, 10:27:33 AM »
I'm with Travis, it's hard enough to throw those big flies all day, even when you know there are alot of fish present. It's not really even a fun day till that one dark, long, shadow shows up behind your fly.