Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Gallatin Steam Plant kayaking Sunday 12-19  (Read 5733 times)

Striperfishin

Gallatin Steam Plant kayaking Sunday 12-19
« on: December 18, 2010, 04:44:31 PM »
At least two of us will be there in Kayaks tomorrow. Plan on Launching at Coles Ferry at around 7AM. Come join us if you have a Kayak and warm clothes.

Brian

icthus

• FishHead
Re: Gallatin Steam Plant kayaking Sunday 12-19
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 12:02:16 AM »
Bring an extra change of clothes in a dry bag; if one falls in and cant call the life guard one will need a warm fire and dry clothes.  

Why would one risk ones health for skip jack in a yack. If one would to fall in what would one do to get back to the truck?  Thank you for being a candidate  for the, "Darwin Awards".  No matter how stable a yack is, (side note, I have chased jacks, tarpon, snook, and reds in one) when it comes to cold weather, mother nature does not care, and dumb asses.....  are welcomed.  Why would one put oneself in that situation.  I have also yaked the Caney in 20 degree temps, but I have always had a way out at all times.  One can be a hero and say how stable ones yack is, and how great ones personal man powered sled is, or one could just ask for a boat ride.

God Speed,
Pal

ps.. if something should happen to one please tell Gramps Hello and I will see him in about 63 years.  Tell him too I miss him like crazy and the fishing still sucks this time of year.  Let him know that, "Spickeys " on low tide is still hold reds".
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

jladdsmith

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 03:22:13 AM »
Hahahaha,

One's got to love another one's late 30 posting! 

Someone made the mistake of buying me a one malt Glen Moryay and another one made the mistake of taking them up on sampling enough for two or three other ones.

Speaking of, what's the fishing like off of Galapagos? Second thought, maybe that was someone else. 

One to feed another?  Good fun!

txnative

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 08:36:46 PM »
Icthus,

Just letting you know mine and striperfishin's trip went fine. I appreciate your concern for our safety, although your condescending tone could have been omitted.  We did pack necessary emergency supplies, we were being cautious,  and we did stay out of others' way, even though we "technically" had right of way.

We did NOT encounter inconsiderate/dangerous drivers, we did NOT get ourselves into situations we had no control over, and we did NOT need the comments you posted to remind us of these precautions.

In the future, please try not to discourage others based on your own presumptions. Contrary to what you believe, boaters in different craft can share the water.  A willingness to be vigilant and know when to yield is all that is needed.  I have no problem beaching my yak to avoid an "inexperienced" boater, and i know when they are coming well before they get close by assuming no boat sees me and moving out of their way...hard to get hit when i'm not in the way.

Yakkers commonly chase large saltwater fish in heavy seas and around heavy boat traffic, yet you feel the steam plant, where we fished until noon with the only problem being freezing guides, was more dangerous ? I'm not a thrill-seeker, especially if the possible outcome of a gamble is death, and i take the necessary precautions to be prepared for ANY event. Your nominating me for the Darwin Award is both an insult to my intelligence and a direct reflection of your gross underestimation of the ability of others to think, function, and act with an intelligence equal or greater to your own.

By the way, fishing was great. Caught stripers, whites, yellows, largemouth, smallmouth and i even went after skippies. If anyone would like to join me, i will probably be going on tuesday. PM me if interested.

Striperfishin

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 08:38:04 PM »
Yep, we had a blast. We both had the necessary equipment and were probably warmer and just as safe as anyone in any boat.

Why would be risk it? Why would anyone go fishing or hunting in water or weather that is not give or take a perfect 75 degrees? Because we enjoy it and like the challenge.
I hike into remote areas in foul weather with just a packpack and a bow or rifle all the time. Is there danger?Yes  Will I do it as long as my health allows me? Yes

Oh, no need to call a lifegaurd either. My certs are expired, but I was a CA lifegaurd for 7 years. Trained in water rescue, hypothermia, CPR, first Aide, Etc.

Kayaking with good yaks and the right gear is just as safe as any other kind of watercraft in almost any conditions. Going with other is of course a very smart and the safest thing to do.

Good fishing,
Brian

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 09:04:39 PM »
Way To Go brian ;) ;) ;) ;).  Sounds like you had a great time. 

Your Pal,
Pal
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

Striperfishin

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 09:20:02 PM »
I do have to say though I almost died from the paddle back with my waders. I have some heavily insulated duck hunting waders I use for this weather. There great when sitting, but when paddling over distance, I would have loved to have a good lighter breathable pair.

At least after the first hour the guides stopped freezing up. The cold weather even kept the number of boats up there down quite a bit. That was a pleasant surprise.

Good fishing,
Brian

jarrod white

• Jdub
  • Global Moderator
  • "I live because I fish, I work because I have to."
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 09:43:50 PM »
thanks for the report and it sounds like it was a great time. I also like to fish the plant, one because it's close to home and two because its a blast when it's on.

JW
I just don't care!

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 08:32:44 AM »
Sounds like you guys had a great time out on the water and thanks for the report. I am heading that way real soon.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Striperfishin

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 11:26:11 AM »
Here is a pic of the huge yellow bass and a large white that Chris caught. I didn't take many pictures, but that yellow demanded one.

[attachment deleted by admin]