Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Elkmont: Sep 25-Sep30  (Read 6575 times)

JoelO

Elkmont: Sep 25-Sep30
« on: October 03, 2018, 10:24:39 AM »
Brother and I packed our rain gear for our trip last week and we got to use it a bit.  ;)  We have a hand-me-down camper and it makes dealing with weather soooo much easier. 

Byron's fishing reports indicated that the LR was flowing well above normal but when I came up LR last Tuesday water levels looked reasonable.  Brother Kevin surprised me with a birthday gift of a pair of waist high Compass360 waders...loved them for the Smokies streams.  Makes it a lot easier for on-the-go restroom breaks too.

Tuesday afternoon: we usually hit the LR above the old cabins...caught a few rainbows
Wednesday-Thursday: intermittent rain, we fished combinations of WPLP, Walker Camp Prong, Jakes Creek and Tremont.  Kevin got his Smokies slam one day.  All of the streams fished well except I couldn't ever connect on Jakes.  Granted, we usually just use Jakes as a end of day stop so we don't usually fish it for very long.

Thursday night/Friday: The bottom dropped out Thursday night so we knew we'd be dealing with high water on Friday.  We decided to trek up Lynn Camp, hoping conditions weren't too bad.  Normally we start fishing shortly above the cascades where the brookie restoration starts.  We had heard much better fishing starts near the Panther Creek trailhead so we decided to make the 2.3 mile trek to check it out.  Sure enough, the first pool I hooked 3 fish ... long-line released all of them.  :(  We caught some nice brookies up there but were somewhat limited in covering good spots due to the high water.

Saturday: gorgeous weather returns as a high pressure system moved in.  The change in weather, although nice, completely turned off the feeding cycle of the fish.  We fished Thunderhead Prong and a small portion of Sam's Creek (didn't bring a map and the unmaintained trail to the higher, more open sections of the stream was not easily discernible).  We finished up with a short stint on Tremont where I caught a couple of rainbows but it was obvious the high pressure system that had moved in had shut the fishing down. 

It was another great trip...we'll be back in May.  I need to get a waterproof camera...my Olympus died some time ago.  The brookies were gorgeous in their fall colors.   

MikeA

• Administrator
  • https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http
Re: Elkmont: Sep 25-Sep30
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 10:53:25 AM »
I'll be heading up in a week not sure how much fishing I'll get in but I'm going to try. Thanks for the confidence builder!
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 02:23:32 PM »
Awesome TR. I need to head that way and get away from the city and do some fishing.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

JoelO

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 10:00:52 AM »
Thanks!  The usual fly combinations worked well.  Elk hair caddis in yellow, para Adams or March Brown, Stimulators always work well (if nothing more than use as an indicator), BH Prince or Hare's Ear and Green or Pink Weenies.  I'm sure a BH pheasant tail would work fine but I tend to put the Prince or HE on most of the time.

bee

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 03:13:10 PM »
Its a special area of the GSMNP.  Been lucky to have enjoyed it from a cabin there in the past.  Glad you had such a good time enjoyed it one more time