Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Question for Obey Regulars  (Read 4378 times)

bd

• Global Moderator
Question for Obey Regulars
« on: March 22, 2010, 04:07:47 PM »
Does anybody have a good measure of how to predict the amount of backfill from the Cumberland into the Obey at any given time?  Sometimes I'll go up there on no generation and it will be 7 or 8 feet deep at the big bend; recently I went up there and it was barely knee deep on the same schedule.

I haven't been up there enough to be able to predict how deep the water will be when I get there.  It's good to know in advance whether I'll be able to run a prop boat back upriver.  :)

bd

Hilljack

• Plateau Drifters
Re: Question for Obey Regulars
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 12:08:29 PM »
bd,

I don't get up to the Obey as often as I would like to, but I did float it two weeks ago from the dam down to the park.  Dale Hollow was running one generator until 9:00 AM - we got in behind it on falling water and it fell out pretty quick.  Wolf Creek was running one or two generators that day.  However, the river still seemed to get backed up up about 1.5 miles below the island.  My guess is that 3 or more generators at Wolf Creek would start to back up the river all the way to the island, but that is just a guess.  The generation last year at Wolf Creek very often kept the Obey heavily backed up from the summer through the end of the year - even under generation from Dale Hollow.

The fishing was good - nothing huge, but the trout were healthy with plenty of color. 

Hope this helps.  Maybe someone who has floated or waded the Obey under a wider range of conditions can chime in.

Hilljack

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 01:29:03 PM »
There is such a gigantic delay between when the generators at Wolf Creek cut on vs. when that water reaches the Obey that I just can't figure it out well enough to predict anything.

bd

MikeA

• Administrator
  • https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 01:41:04 PM »
I say it doesn't matter if your worried about the fishing. It sucks either way. But if you get there and it's backed up just fish the still water, problem solved. If your worried about a prop boat then just start low and go up.
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

Travis C.

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 08:27:44 PM »
Hey BD, Sorry for the delay I just noticed this. I will try to go back through some of my dates that I have been up there and see water the water was.

I know the last time I was there it was like this.

Feb. 27th

Cumberland gauge at Celina shown 507.92 ft 18.92 above zero on the gauge (489ft=0 on gauge)

Dale was not generating and the water was backed up all the way to the Dam. It was not wading water except for very small areas right above moody's and some uncomfortable waist to chest wading above the campground ramp. Ideal for a boat though just wish I had brought mine that time.

Maybe this will get some sort of idea for you while I check back through my trips. I fished there more than the Caney last year.