Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Gheenoe 15'4" remodel---Finished May 2014 :)  (Read 57163 times)

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
Gheenoe 15'4" remodel---Finished May 2014 :)
« on: May 12, 2010, 10:13:09 PM »
this is what she looked like when I purchased her and put her in my collection

decided to put the false floor where Sam is pointing, keep the center of gravity as low as possible.

measured, remeasured and measured some more, marked where the floor would end up.

black pipe is for rod tubes that will be embedded in both sides of boat. Blue conduit is for electrical

even though this will be my Elk River boat, she is getting eyeballs, never know when I might have her out on the lake and it could get dark, plus I'm doing this boat up the way I think a Elk boat should be. Don't cost much more to get it right.

got brave :D took the saw and went postal, and removed these, they were just in the way ;)

now to get down to business

got the part done I had been dreading, my lungs and dust don't mix, but this suit was worth it's weight in gold, and the full face I borrowed from one of my work buds.

Now I can make the false floor panels and get started putting them in.

09/23/10

Why on earth do people cut holes in the bottom of perfectly good boat bottoms? I filled the one in the bottom and rear that was used for Livewell.

Be forewarned, I will retain BD if anyone tries to use this jig  :D Foam backing on bottom, fiberglass hull pieces from light cut out as rigid backing, pressure against bottom with a 2 x 4 and couple pry bars. Max is sitting in background protecting me

10/07/10

put the raceways in for the electrical tonight, got them glassed in, not only with they carry the wires but are put in so that the floor with rest on them for extra support, now onto the floor panels and the side gussets

10/17/10

got the side gussets glassed in

10/21/10

got the first panel out of the form, it's 2 layers of 18oz woven roving, 2nd and 3rd will be one layer, install and build up in boat.

11/22/10

got the Anchor Rein gusset glassed in and Anchor Rein mounted, front trolling plug also in place

used fiberglass from the seats I cut out to make these tabs, they are for rear support of the seat/casting deck

12/01/10

with the colder weather had to come inside and work, bulkhead for the front of the seat/casting platform and 4 pieces for the battery box/seat

12/02/10

got the box squared up and taped on the outside, two layers of 6oz and epoxy on the corners

12/10/10

putting the fillet's in the corners, probably over doing it, rather have to much than not enough ;)

09/17/12
work and cold weather has put this project on the back burner, finally for a few days off in a roll, but worked 21 straight before I got these off  :o
got back serious on the boat, wanted to get the major glass work done before cooler weather

solid cover of woven roving front to rear
wetting it down as I go from back to front

all glassed down

bulkhead, will be storage behind it, full length cover will be seat/casting deck

rod tubes

11/25/12
rear casting deck

making a tube to cut in half for rod grip holders, wax paper over PVC tube for the form

mounting one in place

01/14/13

installed the rear trolling plug mount

installed the bulkhead side extensions

10/31/13

01/14/14

primer

top coat

05/15/14

Leo deMonbreun

Re: Gheenoe 15'4" remodel
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 10:42:42 PM »
Hey Double D, I like what I'm seeing, I bet you are haveing a blast working on that one!
"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 08:43:33 AM »
David, now that is just cool!

Check your PM's about next week.  ;)
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 01:12:40 PM »
Bumping this and adding it as a sticky so we watch David's progress.

Nice work David.  :)
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

lawnman

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 04:17:29 PM »
Looking good David, like to find one to remodel myself, I'll keep an eye on this one for sure.

Leo deMonbreun

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 07:47:42 PM »
We are seeing a Gheenoe become a Deenoe, awesome David!

Leo
"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 11:00:34 AM »
Leo,

I'd like to offer you the first float down the Elk when I get her done. Being you are 90% retired we might be able to hook up.

DD

Leo deMonbreun

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 07:19:18 AM »
You're on David, that sounds like an offer that cannot be refused!!

bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 09:55:12 PM »
Holy cow:

Any project that requires a guy to dress up in a moon landing suit is too much for me to handle.   ;D

bd

Aquaholic

• FishHead
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 09:43:44 AM »
Awesome project.  That is looking good

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 10:09:23 AM »
have been waiting on warm weather to get back on the project, will do so soon as soon as some mysterious big bug dies off  ;)

Looper Flies

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 09:05:15 PM »
so..... i guess we don't need to work on the gheenoe anymore.  daddy's got a brand new bag!  River Ranger!!
Fish on!

MikeA

• Administrator
  • https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 07:07:22 AM »
This thread must have an ending.... This is one of if not my favorite thread on the board!
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 08:43:40 AM »
The end is near.

If overtime will allow, SOON

Got trips on the Elk planned since Sam is showing interest in fishing.

ZachMatthews

• FishHead
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 09:26:28 AM »
Looks great!  As you know I've done the same general project.  I went the glassed-in-wood route versus glassing foam as a cost-saving measure.  Epoxy is about the most expensive thing in any boat.  I think you were very smart to put in the false floor; mine is configured with scuppers to allow water to drain down.  That ironically had the effect of keeping me fishing for a couple of outings before I realized I had worn a hole in the nose beaching the boat.  It's up on sawhorses right now waiting for me to glass on a new noseguard.

Is the center seat thing going to be a live bait well? 

Good looking boat.

Zach