Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Latest updates  (Read 4525 times)

Youngfish

Latest updates
« on: August 03, 2010, 07:22:27 AM »
Thinking about taking my boys fishing on the Obey this Thursday.  Any updates on how the river is fishing?

Travis C.

Re: Latest updates
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 08:21:10 AM »
Usually it is fishing well this time of year on through fall. I haven't had time to get up there in a while but based on previous years it should be. If you all fly fish 6x tippets and #18, #20, #22 midges. Also, soft hackles seem to do well up there.

The only trick on the Obey is you may have to initiate or finish your drift on your own by small strips. Sometimes there is enough current for a full drift but most the time it is not.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 08:40:36 AM »
If you can find a window to fish it will fish good.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Youngfish

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 12:52:16 PM »
Final got on the river Monday.  I'm not a fly fisherman but would like to learn some day.  I took two 15 yr old boys, for one, it was his first time to trout fish, as well as my dad.  Fishing was very slow.  We tried a variety of baits as well as spinner and small plugs.  Only managed 4 fish between us all and we fished all day.  Generation started @ 10:30 am and scheduled to run until 10 PM.  Still fun being out, great memories and we will do it again.

I was surprised to see how much the river bank had washed at the campground as well as the fishing piers that were damaged.  Was this due to the May flooding?  Also, the small creek at the end of the campground had washed away a lot of the trees as well as the bank. 

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 01:16:53 PM »
On low clear water the fly can be a much better producer then spinning tackle. Consider booking a trip sometime we would be glad to introduced you and your boys into the sport.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Travis C.

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 08:58:46 PM »
I think they are drawing the water down on the lake up there right now.

Once the campground closes which it will be soon, the fishing up there picks up and gets good through winter.

A lot of the banks and the piers were hit hard last spring. They got a lot of rain and with Wolf Creek/Center Hill being worked on someone had to let loose the water.

I am sure the flooding up there was pretty good too in May as everywhere else.

If you are familiar with the campground, last year we put in at the ramp there and tied our boats off to the billboard sign halfway down the ramp. The fishing piers were totally under water and had to navigate around them.