Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Last weekend TR  (Read 4237 times)

MikeA

• Administrator
Last weekend TR
« on: September 17, 2012, 08:54:11 PM »
Had a great time last weekend. We ended up exploring a "new to us" creek to see if it had any wild fish, mainly Brooks. It does have a few and very damn few... We hiked a few miles up a semi rugged trail with moderate elevation change per mile. I was doing great but suddenly I got hit with stomach cramps and some sort of lower GI issue that had me feeling pretty ill and ready to get down the mountain to some medication.
Some photos from Sat.

I left the DSLR home and instead took along my waterprof Nikon Coolpix.

I think all the blue lines on the map musta got Dave excited. Yea,, he's a fisheries guy.
;D

My hookset on these guys was a little strong a few times.... My Cherokee name is Chub slinger.

Sat night we headed down to bigger more well known river and overnighted at hunters paradise campground. Somewhere around 3 am we were startled out of our sleep when a pack of Bear dogs were in hot pursuit of what I can only assume was a bear trying to escape by running what seemed like only a few yards away from our tents. :o

Sun Morning we got up early made a egg and Chanterelle Omlette from the two bags of these we found on the first river we fished Sat.

We fished the lesser known smaller river for a few hours and caught a few small Bows and Dave got a few Brooks, and only saw one Copperhead.
A much nicer trail awaited here!

I spent alot of time here. Fishing took a backseat and imagination was unleashed wondering about all the people through the years who stood on that big limestone mound and took in the majesty of this location. Finding solitude in a place as grand as this is getting harder and harder these days.

How to get a drift into this rhodo tunnel?

Prehistoric Toilet

Pocket water.

I saw several of these.

But these nasty buggers must be the predominant insect here. They are everywhere and the love bologna BTW...  

Nasty!

Hummingbird sized hornets AKA Vespa crabro, AKA Flying Death!

We ended to Trip on the Tellico where the catching better and the stocked Trout were much larger.

Lots of these fresh shucks in a couple of sections.  

Had a great time Dave thanks for coming along and leading the way. I owe you one.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

Travis C.

Re: Last weekend TR
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 09:44:49 AM »
Great shots again Mike, how much battery life do you need for a weekend trip like that?

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 09:52:06 AM »
Thanks for sharing those images! We are blessed with a beautiful state.

TheYiman

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 11:41:34 AM »
Great report.  Thanks.  I like all the wildlife/plant shots.  How big was that spider? Looked pretty large.

RonS81

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 11:55:41 AM »
Great TR Mike, beautiful photos .  Hope your feeling better.

mrl0004

• FishHead
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 12:59:38 PM »
Now that is my kind of fishing! Looks like you guys had a killer trip!
"Often, I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, briar scarred, sunburned, mosquito-bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand, have I been in a place that was less than beautiful."

oldmanelrod

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 01:13:38 PM »
Thanks for sharing those tremendous photos!

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 01:53:19 PM »
Some nice shots and a nice TR.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Looper Flies

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 06:53:27 AM »
sweet
Fish on!

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 07:47:40 PM »
You have a gift with a camera.
-Pal 
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 08:00:25 PM »
Thanks guys! I'd love to go back and leave the rod and bring the DSLR. Sooo much to shoot up there.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

oldtimer

• "The mountains are calling and I must go."
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 12:21:56 AM »
Thanks guys! I'd love to go back and leave the rod and bring the DSLR. Sooo much to shoot up there.

Mike, I am always "conflicted" on taking my DLSR.