Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: looking for advice  (Read 2273 times)

Ringtailed Trout Hunter

looking for advice
« on: June 22, 2015, 09:59:16 PM »
I am new to fly fishing and I'm in need of advice on what flies and their sizes are the most successful on the Caney Fork and Obey rivers. I also need to know how exactly to fish the flies. (Example - you strip a wooly bugger, use a strike indicator with a zebra midge.)

thank you

jladdsmith

Re: looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 08:46:58 AM »
Jerk baits.  :D

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 09:17:51 AM »
I hate to answer this way, but it depends. Depends on the flow, how the fish are holding, temperature and other weather factors, sun location, etc.

Start with size 16 & 18 on midges and vary the color (black and silver, black and copper, etc.). You nailed it, for streamers, you strip, mainly, but dead drifting works too. Strike indicators for midges, most of the time, but some times you don't use them if the fish are wary.

Do some searches on the board and you will uncover a wealth of information.

Oh, and welcome to the board.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 10:15:52 AM »
Welcome to the dark side, Steve has put you on the right track. This link from Orvis http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/ is another great way, hiring a guide or joining a fishing club such as MTFF.org.
We could type out pages upon pages, observing other folks onstream is a cheap way to learn as well.

Always remember the KISS factor, it really works(did for me anyway).

Grumpy

Ringtailed Trout Hunter

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 09:57:04 PM »
Thanks yall.