Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Jet Drive rebuild.  (Read 2213 times)

MikeA

• Administrator
Jet Drive rebuild.
« on: February 27, 2018, 09:32:46 AM »
Well the Jet was peeing out the weep hole last weekend so I decided to break it down and rebuild the jet drive. I've done a seal replacement before (2010) but decided to replace the main bearing this time. I ordered a new complete bearing and seal set from Outboard Jets but I still had the new bearing from the last time when I didn't replace it. I got it all broken down and was amazed that I was able to get the pressed on bearing off the shaft with a little ingenuity. Got the new Bearing back on and now I'm waiting on the shipment for OJ to finish up the seals. I can't stress how simple this design is compared to a prop style lower unit. If you own, a jet I'd recommend you pull it apart all the way down to the bearing every few years just to make sure it's not rusting and seizing. Use plenty of anti seize where applicable when you put it all back together. As is stands now, there isn't a nut or bolt anywhere on that Yamaha that I haven't touched. I would love to have a new Fuel injected motor but it'd sure be hard to let this one go I've gotten to know it so well... Yamaha builds an engineering masterpiece IMO. Couldn't be more happy with them. If this one ever goes,, Rob at Supreme said the Merc is the better choice. I'm gonna have to see proof of that.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
Re: Jet Drive rebuild.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 06:21:23 AM »
That thing has been used, taking care of it as you do is the key, long live the yamaha

David L. Darnell

• FishHead
  • Insane Trout Bum
    • my site
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 07:49:19 PM »
Rob has a Yamaha on his boat  :o

When I ask for the Yamaha, he gave me that grin, said why you it over the Mercury, I pointed at his and he grinned.

I had a 25 and 40 Mercury 4 stroke jet, zero trouble, so far 30 Yamaha is zero trouble.

I've spent lots of hours on the White, Yamaha is king out there, I can tell you it's a Yamaha, if it's a prop motor, they have their own sound.

If I was going to get another motor, would look hard at the Tohatsu 2 stroke, seen a few on the White and rode in a custom jet boat in BC on the upper Columbia, was a sweet motor.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 11:03:48 PM »
I get it all rebuilt. New seals, Bearing, water pump housing and impeller. now if it'll warm up I'll drop it in Center Hill for a test run.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956