Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Species ID, etc.  (Read 2171 times)

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
Species ID, etc.
« on: May 03, 2015, 08:39:13 PM »
Made it out with my wife and daughter to one of the local creeks to see if we could catch a few fish. Water was cold and the fish were not aggressive toward flies.

A couple of spin fishers stopped by and told us that they were having a slow day as well and only caught a couple on watermelon creature plastics. We caught a few red eye,shiners, and a couple of smallmouth.
Came across this school of orange minnows spawning and have no idea of what they are.

Saw several of these banded water snakes out swimming around as well.

Great day to get out!

jarrod white

• Jdub
  • Global Moderator
  • "I live because I fish, I work because I have to."
Re: Species ID, etc.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 06:12:09 AM »
I was having a great time right up to where you said several of these banded water targets swimming around :) it was a beautiful weekend to be out for sure , thanks for sharing
I just don't care!

gaspergou

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 08:31:37 AM »
Tennessee shiners, Notropis leuciodus. They're probably over a chub nest -- they (and several other species of minnows) spawn over the big gravel mounds that Nocomis chubs build. Pretty spectacular fish when they're all fired up.

Jarrod, the most dangerous part of that snake is the ricochet. :) 

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 10:11:26 AM »
Thanks for the info!

jarrod white

• Jdub
  • Global Moderator
  • "I live because I fish, I work because I have to."
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 07:58:42 PM »
Dave , I have actually turned over a new leaf and let em live :) I still don't like them but some of them are pretty awesome to look at .... From a distance of course :)
I just don't care!

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 08:09:35 PM »
Looks like a great family outing in some gorgeous weather.  Thanks for sharing Brady!