Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: North Carolina  (Read 5618 times)

Travis C.

North Carolina
« on: December 21, 2015, 07:24:49 PM »
Does anyone have any experience or suggestions for fishing the Charlotte or Raleigh areas? May be moving soon and trying to decide which area is better to plant new roots in.

Thanks!

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
Re: North Carolina
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 12:11:17 PM »
Stay out of Charlotte with the kids.

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 09:31:47 PM »
If you are going to make a lick, then Charlotte has the diggs.  If money is going to be somewhat tight I would move somewhere else. Charlotte has a large banking following which means the median income is higher then most.  Do yourself a favor and move further east or move south.  Three hours does not seem that much to drive to the mountains, but it gets old and so does 3 hours to the beach.. The other five days of your life punch yourself in the balls because you are not fishing anything other then lakes.

comes from a man who does not know, but might have a bit of clue

Pal
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 01:28:46 AM »
If you're not able to find a good match in the Asheville or Tri cities area...which are my 2 preferences over anywhere else in the country....

I know you mentioned Roanoake at one point---that's musky heaven, along with world class smallmouth, and reservoir stripers....
With some amazing geography, friendly communities, and mtn trout opportunities as well.

I think the flat terrains of Raleigh and Charlotte would be putting you in bass and catfish territory with a hefty drive to the clear water.

I'd make a break for the mountains and hill country if possible---greater variety of drainages to fish and hike.  Less traffic too.

Travis C.

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 01:10:55 AM »
Stay out of Charlotte with the kids.

Crime? I have no clue about the demographics of the area.

Travis C.

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 01:13:30 AM »
If you are going to make a lick, then Charlotte has the diggs.  If money is going to be somewhat tight I would move somewhere else. Charlotte has a large banking following which means the median income is higher then most.  Do yourself a favor and move further east or move south.  Three hours does not seem that much to drive to the mountains, but it gets old and so does 3 hours to the beach.. The other five days of your life punch yourself in the balls because you are not fishing anything other then lakes.

comes from a man who does not know, but might have a bit of clue

Pal

Thanks for the info man. Her brother lives in Wilmington Beach. We were trying to get closer but could just go there. Depends on job situation though.

Travis C.

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2015, 01:19:43 AM »
If you're not able to find a good match in the Asheville or Tri cities area...which are my 2 preferences over anywhere else in the country....

I know you mentioned Roanoake at one point---that's musky heaven, along with world class smallmouth, and reservoir stripers....
With some amazing geography, friendly communities, and mtn trout opportunities as well.

I think the flat terrains of Raleigh and Charlotte would be putting you in bass and catfish territory with a hefty drive to the clear water.

I'd make a break for the mountains and hill country if possible---greater variety of drainages to fish and hike.  Less traffic too.

Yeah we looked at Tri Cities and checked on a house just SE of Kingsport right close to water but the job comes into play there. Finding a good fit for enough income. VA is still on the table and I could probably get in with Orvis warehouse there in Roanoke given my background but my wife still needs to find a fit as well.

Still weighing options. May even stay here who knows. My uncle just started a gun company making weapons for the military. If it was further along I'd likely be with him down on Cocoa Beach FL area.

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2015, 11:28:56 PM »
Yep, I go with the Uncle hands down.  Guns are only going to become more apart of our lives much like the early beginnings of this country.  Lets look at the other great things that area has to offer.  Surf-Check, 1-95 to the keys-check, cheep housing-check, and snook and tarpon fishing 40 minutes south that would blow your mind.  Check your PM

-Pal
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

Travis C.

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 09:17:31 AM »
After a long..long delay in the process its finally settled.

We ended up staying in TN and have a place in Sevierville. We are a few miles below Douglas Dam and the farm backs up to the French Broad River.

Can't wait to get moved next week then settled so fishing can resume. I have been doing far too little fishing in the last couple years.

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 01:41:48 PM »
After a long..long delay in the process its finally settled.

We ended up staying in TN and have a place in Sevierville. We are a few miles below Douglas Dam and the farm backs up to the French Broad River.

Can't wait to get moved next week then settled so fishing can resume. I have been doing far too little fishing in the last couple years.

Congratulations!! You will enjoy it there and with tons of water around you, you won't be without choices.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 09:12:44 PM »
WooHoo, wait a minute, a farm will keep you from fishing :o

Travis C.

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 11:16:06 AM »
Thanks Steve and Grumpy.

We are finally unpacked and starting to settle a little. Fishing soon hopefully to follow. We took the kids to Chimney tops last weekend and watched some brook trout holding in current. That was a very cool sight for the kiddos to see.

No work on the farm though. The family that owns all the land around us tends to it. I offered to help just waiting on the where. Our house was the original place on the land before they built down the street.