Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Sneakin' Away  (Read 6240 times)

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
Sneakin' Away
« on: October 19, 2012, 03:14:44 PM »
I certainly do not have as many opportunities on the water as I used to, but getting creative with timing (when Breelyn is asleep) has allowed me to creep off to the river after midnight to get my fishing fix.

A couple weeks back, I tried to get Icthus on some night trouts, but he couldn't swing the vampire schedule with his weary travels....he made up for it while fishing with Jay.
I found a few, and started to catch on to a new style of streamerin' that was getting the bigger fish to eat.  Plenty of gulps on top, several missed fish (one that I would have sworn was a beaver! Big Boy)---but I missed him.  Left that night wanting justice for my missed attempts.

Last night, headed out at 2:00AM.  Gorgeous night.  Coyotes yipping in the hills, beavers crashing the water, coons in the brush, random possum--all the critters were riled up, so I figured the fish would be active too.  Missed several,some large, but not many takers--Struggled for about 2 hours, and I was contemplating heading in...but I persisted --switched tactics to what I learned a few weeks ago, and it worked!   Got rewarded with 2 nice 25" browns back to back as the sunrise was just starting to paint the sky.

No ramp needed, just a sore back from dragging in the slick leaves.

I tried out the auto timer on the 2nd fish:

It felt good to shake the cabin fever!

TW

Travis C.

Re: Sneakin' Away
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 03:40:34 PM »
Nice job man, I will be playing that game in 2 weeks all weekend long.

How's Breelyn doing? Seems like they change every day during the first year.

TheYiman

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 04:44:02 PM »
Nice work Travis!  I love all the popper/trout pics.

Looper Flies

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 05:13:55 PM »
Nice!
Fish on!

Travis C.

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 05:27:13 PM »
Do you throw those poppers on a 6wt?

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 05:43:20 PM »
Yes, and stick to a longer leader, they bite better without line interference.  Also use 15-20 lb leader or so.  No need to lose a big brute if you hook them.  Once the Caney browns get off the redds, I would try for them in the upper end.  Our fish don't usually spawn till December, so they're feeding now.

Yoda

• Yoda
  • FishHead
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 06:41:06 PM »
Great TR!! Glad you're getting out!!! Glad to hear Breelyn is doing well, won't be long before you have a baby seat in the Crawdad!!
"Fish, or fish not...There is no Golf..."~Yda~

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 07:41:54 PM »
Solid!  :)
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

mrl0004

• FishHead
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 10:54:44 AM »
Very cool! I really should try to get back up there soon!
"Often, I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, briar scarred, sunburned, mosquito-bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand, have I been in a place that was less than beautiful."

icthus

• FishHead
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 06:32:22 PM »
Travis,

Thanks for letting me wrap some hooks at your house a couple of Friday's ago.  Sorry I couldnt go, my mind and body just said no with life was happening around me so fast I needed to let my mind go to another place.  Next time I am in. 

Thank you for the hospitality and the vice,
Your youngin is beautiful,
Pal
"You see the fish, make the cast. Tic, tic, hit him, no not a trout set!!!!!! What are you doing?"

dbradyh

• FishHead
  • bhaston
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 07:23:39 PM »
That black and yellow popper is a classic.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 03:15:31 PM »
Awesome report Travis. Put in the effort and time and you'll be rewarded. That is the lesson everyone should learn from your reports.

I sneaked away this weekend to a river up north that I bet you'd remember  ;D... Had a good fish on that the net man BD said was a solid 26-27" and fat Brown, but he pulled off before BD could get a net under it (wasn't his fault). Then I hooked into another monster  that felt even bigger. The head shakes I felt through the rod made my knees tremble a little but again he pulled off just as the backing knot left the last guide. 6x is a bitch. I've caught plenty of fall Browns so I'm pretty happy just to get that initial burst of adrenaline from that unmistakable sound the line makes when you set into a monster. It wasn't a banner trip but I caught enough fish to keep me entertained.
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

TWiles

• DDS
  • FishHead
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 06:26:25 PM »
Thanks guys.

I still think the Caney has some great night opportunities on a bright September or April night...I'll test this theory by the Dam someday.

Mike, That's great news on the river....maybe next fall for me.  Big browns on light tippet can be heart breaking, they fight just like big catfish.  These night trout are a short lived blast...but the muskies are convincing me to try some new waters.

Travis C.

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 07:59:10 PM »
Yes, and stick to a longer leader, they bite better without line interference.  Also use 15-20 lb leader or so.  No need to lose a big brute if you hook them.  Once the Caney browns get off the redds, I would try for them in the upper end.  Our fish don't usually spawn till December, so they're feeding now.

Thanks, I threw a spool of 15lb in the boat bag. Can't wait for the calm of night to be spoiled by a screamin drag again. It's been long over due and ain't gettin here soon enough.