Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Trip suggestions....  (Read 1314 times)

TimM

• FishHead
Trip suggestions....
« on: January 18, 2011, 05:05:32 PM »

Ok...so I had to go to Toronto in January on business...(why is it always January when I have to go there?  ??? ) but I was given a nice task by my customer while there.... he wants me to put together a saltwater trip for a customer outing for him in April...and I get to go at his expense! How's that....my customer is taking me fishing pretty much where-ever I suggest at his expense...sweet! Anyway, I have some ideas but knowing that there are some creative folks that hang out here abouts that know a thing or two about the topic I thought I'd ask here to see what might show up.   Here are the criteria as I know them now:

* Location can be anywhere along the SE US (TX to FL) coast that is usually reasonably warm in mid April

* Most involved are fishermen - but of varying skill levels and knowledge ranging from very casual to relatively serious (my customer specifically mentioned he'd like to do some fly fishing when we were away from his customer)

* Action is preferred over trophy quality catch

* Having a variety of fish to target is preferred

* A mix of offshore and inshore would be preferred

* There is a general interest in shallow water action more so than offshore - no real interest in big game offshore  trolling in particular

*Including a bit of "meat" fishing.... in the form of some red snapper or grouper for example would be a plus (don't know if that's even an option legally actually)

* It would be nice, but it's not necessary if there are plenty of places for eats and drinks at the end of the day

* There will be 8-10 people

* This will be guided fishing - for any inshore action we discussed 4 boats/day as the minimum

* Cost is not a *huge*  factor

* A few (2-3) hours to get from one location to another in order to add species to the potential target list is not a problem and in fact is preferable given the proclivities of the notorious Mr. Murphy (Murhpy's law)

* There will be 4 actual fishing days for the bulk of the group

The last time these guys did one of these trips they went to the keys and combined permit on the flats with mahi-mahi caught run&gun style offshore.  They enjoyed that and would be open to a variation of it for a repeat but are looking to add some new species.

Let the ideas fly - I know some you will have some great suggestions and I look forward to seeing them!

TIA,

Tim

MikeA

• Administrator
Re: Trip suggestions....
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 06:25:09 PM »
On someone elses money I'd go to the Keys every time. If the fish aint biting who cares. It's the Keys!
Offshore there is great fishing and also bridge fishing for Tarpon with live crabs could be good but it's a bit early.

If you go and he needs a photog to document the trip I'm your man.  8)
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

TimM

• FishHead
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 11:23:17 PM »

Yeah the keys would always have to be on a list like this and I can't think of a better way to...ummm...get my feet wet...so to speak  ;) with that whole experience.    They were kinda thinking back country stuff before I got involved so that could fit in there too.... and I definitely got a "rise" out of them when I brought up tarpon today....and from what I've read they should be available both back country and around the passes at that time....variety is hard to beat! There's just so dang many places and fish that can be caught in that general part of the world.  So many fish and so little time!  :)

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 09:30:08 AM »
I'm with Mike, the Keys. Super diverse, fun times, and the obvious.  ;D
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 09:34:06 AM »
Tim there was a guide that fished around Bahia Honda bridge that was waxing the Tarpon with live crab. Steve may remember the name of that boat.
I'd look at staying at Islamorada, that way you'll be close to some good inshore and within easy drive to the middle keys for Tarpon.

Man I love that place.
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956