Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: TWRA proposal on commercial kayak outfitters  (Read 2993 times)

JoelO

TWRA proposal on commercial kayak outfitters
« on: December 05, 2018, 11:02:39 AM »
Not sure if you guys have seen this but I saw it mentioned by Byron on his latest LRO fishing report.

https://www.thedailytimes.com/news/locals-fear-townsend-tube-traffic-overlooked-in-new-twra-rules/article_2114432a-306f-591d-9294-7cf8d95cc2c0.html

As noted, it won't do anything to regulate traffic.  I'm guessing the fees will just be passed along to the consumer.

Bfish

• FishHead
Re: TWRA proposal on commercial kayak outfitters
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 12:00:30 PM »
The whole proposal is dumb.  Yes something needs to be done. 

However it is not TWRA jurisdiction, it creates a new division for them. The fees collected won't pay for TWRA's work.  TDEC all ready regulates commercial river usage (whitewater rafting outfitters).  Why doesn't TDEC do some capacity studies (to figure out a reasonable max. usage), then regulate the outfitters with a simply only release a certain number of users per day, with a reasonable cap on the number per hour???? It works pretty well on the commercial whitewater rivers.

bee

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 09:02:04 PM »
I will just throw this out there. 

Put a bill together that makes a outfitter responsible for the actions (LITTERING, IMPAIRMENT BY ALCOHOL OR DRUGS, ETC) of the "renters/clients".

Limit the number of commercial kayaks /rental canoes on a river, determined by the size of the river.

Make all paddlers/renters buy a river use permit, daily or seasonal, on some cost roughly  equivalent to fishing permits.

Earmark all proceeds for enforcement personal on the waterways. 

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 09:00:59 AM »
While they're at it raise our license fees again so we can pay even more to not fish the places we already paid to stock and access. From the looks of this I will pay about as much to run a few guide trips a year as the dude dumping hundreds of kayaks, tubes, floaties, public intox, trash, sex on the gravel bar, fight clubs, etc, every day. Seems fair to me....  When license sales are all but gone because we consistently fail to protect the resource, what then?  Is that when Dollywood will put a zip line and a log ride down the middle prong?

SMFH
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 09:09:49 AM »
I guess the upside of this is that we should all open a kayak buisness and rape the hell outa the rivers for the pure profit it promises. Looks pretty clear that the State doesn't care and has given it a big thumbs up.
There is not much collective security in a flock of sheep on the way to the butcher.

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 09:50:46 PM »
I think someone's pocket is  being lined on TWRA commission. >:(