Caney Fork Trout Fly Fishing - Caney Fork Trout Guide

TrophyFishingTN.Com
Videos

Striper, Trout, Smallmouth, and Musky, guide trips in the Nashville area. Our home waters are Cumberland and Caney Fork River and our specialty is fly fishing for Trout and Stripers.

~Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish~

Author Topic: Ok I'll admit it I'm a flash light junkie  (Read 5112 times)

MikeA

• Administrator
Ok I'll admit it I'm a flash light junkie
« on: October 19, 2009, 06:55:50 PM »
And Jarrod got me started on the Surefire lights. Holy cow I never knew flashlights could be so powerful and I just have the small ones.

Any other flashlight junkies out there? I picked up a cobalt LED 120 lumen tactical from Lowes on clearance $39. DO NOT LOOK INTO THIS LIGHT!  ;D 8)

Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

grumpy

• Global Moderator
    • ctflyfishingforum
Re: Ok I'll admit it I'm a flash light junkie
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 09:44:55 PM »
yep, we sell one at the store for about 1/2 the price of the Surefire, not quite as bright, like you stated, you don't want it in your eyes.

Grumpy

DriftWooD1

• FishHead
  • "Why I Am"
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 12:54:21 AM »
I hate them surefires in my eyes...

of course this is my only exprience with them

(cop) How are you doing this evening... (shines Flashlight in eyes)
(me)  Pretty good officer...(blind for a good three minutes)
(cop) can I see your Licence and regiestration
(me) fumbles blindly through truck tring to get rid of halo effect
(cop)  I need you to step out of the truck (shines light in eyes again)
(me)  trips on sidewalk and walks into tree cause i can't see
(cops) blow real hard till i tell you to stop :o

Glenn Hawkins

• FishHead
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 05:58:38 AM »
I have enough MagLights around the house to have purchased a high end fly rod.  Yes, I am a flashlite junkie and I have also been thinking about purchasing a Surefire myself.  Anyone want to buy some Maglights ??? 

Steve H

• Need to fish!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 08:14:23 AM »
Mike, I am a flashlight junkie too. I have a Surefire E2L that I love and stays beside the bed. I also just picked up a couple of LED flashlights from overseas that I like a lot. The brand is Cree.

http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.901  (Link to the Cree line)
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14899  (This is the one I bought)

As well, I have super bright (135+ lumen) light on my bedside Springfield.
http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=80

They are addictive.  :o
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Halli

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 12:19:12 PM »
I like the stinger brand and have used it in a hundred different applications from viewing inside a TVA boiler to spotting the next bouy at night on Old Hickory.

I need to step up to the led style and will do so when my pocket allows me to.

jladdsmith

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 01:55:51 PM »
I'm a freaking nut for these modern lights.  Like Steve, I'm also a fan of the imports, but love my Surefires!  Has anyone seen the Stanley HID?  Here's my response to a similar from another non-fishing forum: 

I'm a flashlight nut as well. I own many high end LEDs including SureFire and Streamlight as well as many Chinese Cree and Seoul- powered LED's. Quality varies widely, but you can't beat SureFire quality. You will pay for it however. Streamlight and Fenix are also top notch. But...... nearly noone really needs 10/10ths out of a flashlight.

Take a tour over at DealExtreme.com- The Chinese MC-E and Seoul LED's are nearly as nice as the highest end lights- providing 8-9/10ths the quality of a SureFire at about 1/10th of the price. They also have blow-your-socks-off power and new LED's many months (or even years) before they show up in an American light. I don't know why it takes so long to bring these new technologies to the US market. The common solution is to retrofit the new emitters into an older model SureFire or similar. If you've never experienced the power and efficiency of these new LED technologies, it's truly a paradigm shift in what you think a handheld (mini-Maglite sized) light is capable of.  My single battery (18650- looks like about 2 AA's morphed into 1 fatter, slightly longer batt), single LED CREE MC-E is rated at 700 lumens (more like 500), is computer regulated with 8 modes including seizure inducing strobe, SOS, etc., lasts about two days on a single charge, etc. was $40 from Deal Extreme.  To put this into perspective, it's brighter than EIGHT standard 3 D-Cell Maglights put together, in a package that's smaller than a single 2AA Mini Mag light, with a lifetime "bulb" and it will run (on low) for days on a single charge.  Incredible. 

Now on to the Stanley HID-

I bought the Stanley on the recommendation of others at candlepowerforums.com. The thing is ridiculously bright. The guys on the forum do tests where they light up a barn at well over a mile. Supposedly you can't even buy the bulb for $70 wholesale, let alone assemble the transformer, shell, batteries and other bits necessary to get a light together. The nearest off the shelf HID is somewhere near $400. So, it's a tremendous value.

Pros: Value, insane power, well built feel, charger and accessories.
Cons: It's heavy as hell. The LEDs on top are useless, and it has no auxillary LED light for less intense lighting requirements. I bought it for use on the boat at night. I discovered that it's just overkill for my needs. Also, if you live in the South, the humidity makes it impossible to make use of the power. On less humid nights though, holy **** this thing is bright. On a comparo between another high powered spotlight and this HID 1000- I shined it at my house from about 1000 yards out. With the 1MM candlepower spotlight, you could clearly see that there was a house there. With the Stanley, it went through the window and lit up the entire house (from the inside). Just astoundingly powerful.

Do I use it? No, but I don't regret the purchase. It's worth $70 just to show it off. Or in the case that you find yourself needing to flag down an alien.

Edit:  I accidentally left my Stanley in the boat.  It is now holding about a quart of water.  I don't expect it to recover.... :'(

MikeA

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 05:55:48 PM »
 :o :o

Another candlepower junky. Where did you get the stanley HID?  :P
Alas, all the evil of the twentieth century is possible everywhere on earth. Yet, I have not given up all hope that human beings and nations may be able, in spite of all, to learn from the experience of other people without having to go through it personally. The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956

jladdsmith

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 07:54:40 PM »
Got it at Wal-Mart in Cool Springs for $70.  Amazon has one, but it's a different model number, so I'm not sure if it's exactly the same.  If you're familiar with candlepowerforums, do a search and see what the real flashlight nuts have to say about this thing.  It really is shocking.  I got one I'll sell ya- only slight water damage  ;D

fairweatherfish

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 08:05:06 PM »
It must come with the territory.  Default Birthday, Fathers Day, Christmas present for me is a flashlight.  I don't have any of the real high end lights, but I believe I'll be getting a nice one for Christmas this year.

jladdsmith

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2016, 11:24:15 AM »
Its funny this conversation got started with Surefire and 120 Lumen lights.  My first high end flashlight was a Surefire P60 at 120 lumens with the upgraded bulb and I thought that was ridiculous.  About 20 nice lights later I'm still an addict.  I made the switch a few years ago to sll 18650 powered lights so I didn't have to keep track of batteries.  I'm a fan of Nitecore lights and remain impressed with my SRT-7.  At 960 lumens with a single LED and single 18650 battery, I thought they'd pretty much reached the limits of efficiency on that one.  Well they've done it again. 

The Nitecore Tiny Monster TM-03 is pumping out 2800 freaking lumens on a single 18650 and the new Cree XHP70 emitter.  That is just nuts.  I don't own one yet but will soon.  They were hovering around $130-$140 for a while and I just found a coupon code to get it for $90 from Banggood's Canadian warehouse.  Coupon code TM03.  I'm going to hold out as I'm waiting to find a deal on the more neutral colored CRI emitter.  It will be slightly less output at around 2600 lumens but still insanely powerful. 

Also I highly recommend purchasing from http://www.andrew-amanda.com/ out of California.  I talked with Andrew a few days ago and he couldn't match the banggood price but could get close.  He couldn't even get the CRI version yet as they're brand new.  I suspect he can get me one soon enough though cause they're already out on the Chinese sites.  BatteryJunction has them for right at $100 as of this morning.  Last night I couldn't find one for less than $140.  Youtube has a lot of reviews if you're interested.